IA Born

12BW: My Oops Hunt with a Great Buck

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

be sure of your target and beyond. 

No you mean shoot until you’ve got something down and hope one of them is your target buck 

• Like 1

LE usually helps other LE.

26 minutes ago, Explorer said:

LE usually helps other LE.

9 minutes ago, oz31p said:

It’s called professional courtesy. 

Except that I'm not LE. I know of three other people who made mistakes and reported themselves and all three had the same outcome. None of them were Federal or State agents. Same treatment. I made a mistake and I owned it. Simple as that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IA Born said:

Except that I'm not LE. I know of three other people who made mistakes and reported themselves and all three had the same outcome. None of them were Federal or State agents. Same treatment. I made a mistake and I owned it. Simple as that.

3 others?  Holy cripe. I've hunted with a group for 40 years now and I don't know 1 that this has happened too. I guess if g&f don't care, it might start though.  Just crazy to me to even think there is no consequences.

2 hours ago, jdown said:

3 others?  Holy cripe. I've hunted with a group for 40 years now and I don't know 1 that this has happened too. I guess if g&f don't care, it might start though.  Just crazy to me to even think there is no consequences.

Sorry, let me clarify.  I don't know these people personally and they are not part of any group I hunt with.  They aren't even all this year.  As a Hunter Ed instructor and a Federal biologist who frequently sits in meetings with AGFD WMs regarding conservation/habitat management projects, I hear the stories regularly. The WM I was dealing with told me of two separate incidents that he's dealt with, including one other one this year.  This is the first time this has happened to me, personally in my 30+ years of hunting.  It will be the last.

I was simply trying to convey that I did not receive any special treatment because of any perceived status or status that doesn't actually exist (LE).  Now, after being voluntold to attend a staff meeting in Phoenix all day yesterday, I have to get too much work done to meet ridiculous deadlines.  Have a great day!

You did the right thing it was an honest mistake a lot of people would not have done what you did  congrats on your deer 

On 11/27/2019 at 9:03 AM, jdown said:

I have to be honest, I'm a little disappointed in our G&F on this one  with the fact there is not a harsher consequence for these actions.  I get the whole self reporting and accidents happen etc, and no offense to the poster here as you were prepared to suffer whatever was thrown at you,  but if after waiting XX amount of years for a trophy tag and dumping two bucks and the only consequence is that I only get to keep one and I probably can't get away with it twice.... that seems like our G&F is setting up a 1X poachers playbook exemption.  I don't know what the right consequence is for this but feels like there needs to be some deterrent.        

I think I see the point you're trying to make. However, a poacher is a criminal, and a criminal will be a criminal regardless. This man self reported, and took responsibility for his actions. The outcome could have very well ended much differently for him, and for that he was fortunate. For the poachers out there getting ideas from this playbook, good luck with that. One can only hope that the poachers start self reporting their "mistakes" too, but don't hold your breath on that one. Congrats to the OP on a successful hunt, and more importantly kudos to him for leading his son by example. 

• Like 4

I agree and not at all attacking the OP, he was willing to accept whatever came his way.  Just saying I'm very surprised that there isn't some sort of fine for the loss of the animal or suspension. I really don't know what the right consequence is but feels like a dangerous precedent for a lot of frustrated hunters waiting 20+ years for a tag and just way too easy to do a oops.  That's all I'm saying.  Not the 99% of us and not the guys that are killing stuff to just to kill it or collect horns, but I could see more oops's start to happen if there is literally no penalty and you get a chance to buy your horns even.