IA Born

12BW: My Oops Hunt with a Great Buck

8 minutes ago, jdown said:

…. but I could see more oops's start to happen if there is literally no penalty and you get a chance to buy your horns even.  

Consider the price of buying them at auction as a "fine" for the oops. 😉 

55 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Consider the price of buying them at auction as a "fine" for the oops. 😉 

That's just buying the 2nd set.. you still get to keep the one you tagged!  Maybe that's the right consequence, you have to pay market price per lb for the deer and horns you tagged or lose it - LOL! 

3 minutes ago, jdown said:

That's just buying the 2nd set.. you still get to keep the one you tagged!  Maybe that's the right consequence, you have to pay market price per lb for the deer and horns you tagged or lose it - LOL! 

Right. But he already paid for both tags so the auction fee for the 2nd one is an additional cost if it had been legally taken. I've never been to the AGFD sale, but I believe it's auction style, and not per lb. So he might have one or more bidders to go up against. 

I didn't catch paying for a second tag in the story, maybe I missed that part?

Yes on auction, but since not legally his deer, It's not really a penalty to buy a set of horns. 

12 minutes ago, jdown said:

I didn't catch paying for a second tag in the story, maybe I missed that part?

Yes on auction, but since not legally his deer, It's not really a penalty to buy a set of horns. 

My bad. You're right on the 2nd tag. I had a brain fart. 🤬

Kudos to IA BORN for doing the right thing and calling G&F, It truly sounds like he was sorry for what happened and was willing to accept what the WM decided to do.  Kudos to the WM who I'm sure went over the incident and asked the questions that needed to be asked and made the right call in my opinion.  I personally feel like anybody involved in a similar situation shouldn't be able to go to auction though and be able to bid on their mistake.  If the G&F didn't allow you to possibly get back a mistake then there would be no potential abuse of such a situation.  Just my opinion.

To be be clear, when I posted about professional courtesy I didn’t mean it in a neg way. and it need not only apply to le. 

not that my opinion really matters but I have no issue with the way things played out. 

now get your butt back to work !! 

19 hours ago, oz31p said:

To be be clear, when I posted about professional courtesy I didn’t mean it in a neg way. and it need not only apply to le. 

not that my opinion really matters but I have no issue with the way things played out. 

now get your butt back to work !! 

I was not trying to be offensive either. Honestly though your case can be used in a court of law to let others go who dont abide by the law but still get caught.  Court cases are won by comparison to other convictions. I feel you did the right thing.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:36 PM, IA Born said:

Except that I'm not LE. I know of three other people who made mistakes and reported themselves and all three had the same outcome. None of them were Federal or State agents. Same treatment. I made a mistake and I owned it. Simple as that.

Attitude,  respect, and honesty got you further than lying and being disrespectful! Just my .02

• Like 2