Sign in to follow this  
down2hunt

4A Access

Well, it looks like the storm coming thru Az is causing some temporary road closures including the Rim Rd. (300rd). Its my sons 1st rifle bull hunt and we don't want to stay home. Anyone have any suggestions besides driving in from Woods Canyon. I was thinking thru Winslow.

Thanks,

JD

• Like 1

If we get enough snow the elk should move to the north, so driving in from Winslow should be perfect.

• Like 5

going through Winslow is really your only option. You'll have to hunt the lower country since all the roads that lead to the southern part of the unit will be closed. 

• Like 1

Yep, come in from Winslow. That's where all the elk will be anyway. Last time we hunted the late hunt in there when there was snow there were herds of elk running for their lives EVERYWHERE! It was crazy, WW2 style. Gunshots everywhere. We had elk running through our camp. 

Have fun!

• Like 3

Not sure where you're coming from,  but just a heads up.  DPS is now shutting down freeways. Might be a problem even getting to Winslow. Its not mentioned in the article,  but you can almost guarantee SR87 from Payson to Winslow as well as the 260 will also be shut down. 

Might be best to wait til Saturday.

https://www.azfamily.com/weather/arizona-closures-of-parts-of-highways-likely-due-to-storm/article_cbaafbfa-72a1-5206-ae14-b15c94fdcbf2.html

• Like 1

Saw some miserable hunters this morning, fog , snow. Glad I was sitting at home

Had this same tag. Beat the storm in Thursday only to be snowed in. Almost lost the tent easy up was destroyed and had to leave my gear and home with my niece in tow. Forest service closed every access point in unit off. Then a dot shut down every highway in the area. Then to top it off my truck broke down with trailer in tow at red rock on the way to Tucson. Then on Sunday my buddy took me back up to get my gear and almost got stuck. Glad I was camped close to the 260. At this time the 300 rd and others were still closed. Just got my truck back yesterday from the diesel repair shop. Threw the number one injector. Luckily I have a warranty. But it still cost me almost 200 dollars. That’s the jest of my unit 4a elk hunt. Hopefully you and your son had better luck.