Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Xmas Tree Cutting In Tonto?

Does anyone have a good place near Payson to cut Christmas trees with the Tonto tree cutting pass? Just to be clear, I am 100% e-scouting, and I AM requesting honey holes for tree cutting. :)

Thanks,

Harley

• Like 2

I seen a bunch of spots, but now they changed it this year...its below the rim.

We were either going to go below the 260 (on the road to young) or on the west side by the boy scout camp closer to pine. Hopefully its not all snowed over

I was thinking about hitting the road to Young south of the 260 also, but was trying to avoid driving up that far if something was available closer to Payson.

The wife is talking about wanting to drag the trailer up there and snow camp on Saturday and Sunday.

Yea , and get a nice big fine. That was funny tho. One fell over at work the other day .In these storms weak ones and ones in yards people watered to much fall over. Xmas tree cutting is fun when kids are little..Don't get stuck in Snow !.........BOB!

4 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I was thinking about hitting the road to Young south of the 260 also, but was trying to avoid driving up that far if something was available closer to Payson.

The wife is talking about wanting to drag the trailer up there and snow camp on Saturday and Sunday.

There's talks of closing roads up on top of the rim. And at lunch the news said the snow level is supposed to be about 4500. Might wanna call ahead and double check conditions before hand... 

...at the very least, go prepared

and, let me know what you find, ha ha...were going next weekend

• Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 10:36 AM, Hoss50 said:

Does anyone have a good place near Payson to cut Christmas trees with the Tonto tree cutting pass? Just to be clear, I am 100% e-scouting, and I AM requesting honey holes for tree cutting. :)

Thanks,

Harley

I seem to remember one year we went on the 237 north of Payson and had some good luck.if the map is the same we’ll try there this year.

Of course, if there is good snow they’ll move off the mountain for lower grounds..

Where'd you go? get any good trees?.... I need to know man, it's my last chance to fill a tag this year... and the only tag i got all fall! ha ha

I went off of Colcord road south of the 260 off of the Young Highway. We ended up with a nice big pine, but we didn't see a lot of Douglas Fir or other "preferred" Christmas trees. I believe there are some in that area from what the lady at Tonto told me, but the roads and forest roads were pretty nasty so we didn't want to venture to far off the beaten path with 10" of snow on the ground.

6 hours ago, AZ_SAWBUCK said:

There are some pretty sweet trees in the parking lot next to Chilis in Payson!

NOT IN ARIZONA, AND NOT A RESTAURANT, but i know of someone that did something similar.  This person in particular "found the perfect tree"...  Was out at night, got caught in the dark, found the tree and cut the desired length he needed. Went back a few weeks later in the day light, and turns out it was a landscaped tree on a piece of DNR property

No snow, just small patches on the rim. We went today, down the Young road. Found a nice Doug Fir. They are sparce but they are there.

• Like 1