Sign in to follow this  
AzRaised08

Unit 27 Semi Live Late Bull Hunt

Third Day Update:

TAG FILLED. As I finally have a chance to relax and look back on it, wow what a day it’s been! We decided to go back to the spot I posted about yesterday morning. While we had seen some bulls yesterday, we weren’t entirely sure if they’d be there again since we didn’t scout this area before the season started. (It was a whole new spot because we couldn’t get to the spots we had scouted and wanted to hunt due to all the snow.) We looked at a map last night and decided on an area to sit and glass and wait in the morning to see if the elk would come through that same area.

We got up early and hiked in about a mile to sit and glass. About an hour after sunrise, we decided to cross the ridge we were sitting on to get a better view of a tree line and valley that we had seen tracks in yesterday. 30 minutes later, as I’m loudly clearing snow off a log to sit on, my buddy spots the first cow. She was coming from a saddle connected to the little valley we were sitting on about 150 yards from us. He tells me to shut up and look and I see her clear as day. A few more cows follow her and I think to myself “where are the bulls?” After what seemed like forever, but was probably about 30 seconds, we spot a bull following the cows. He’s a decent 4 pointer and  being the third day I think “game on, I’m gonna tag my first bull!”

All of a sudden 5 more bulls come into view from that same saddle but there’s one (potentially major) problem. The lead cow is now at the bottom of this valley we are sitting right on top of about 80 yards in front of us. She can either keep going down or turn directly towards us. There were tracks all on the hillside we were sitting on, so I’m just praying she doesn’t head straight for us. My prayers went answered and she continued leading the group down the valley. 

I turn my attention back to the bulls, but I’m starting to get so excited that not only will I get a shot at one, I’ll actually get to PICK the one I want to shoot. And they are only 125 yards away! I quickly look at each bull through my scope and pick out the one that looks the biggest. Honestly, I probably should have looked at each one longer but I was worried that I would miss this awesome opportunity because the group was moving steadily through. The big one stopped and I had a clear shot at about 125 yards. I pulled the trigger. He went about 30 yards and dropped on his side. He was down! I couldn’t believe it. Clean, double lung shot. I was shaking so hard and for some reason my left hand was tingling like crazy. 

We waited about 10 minutes but he was down and gone. I walked up and he was a beautiful 6 pointer. I honestly couldn’t have dreamed of a more perfect way to fill my first tag. Thank you all again so much for your tips and words of encouragement! I’m really glad I got to finish this thread with a success story and a great bull.

Until next time, 
John

E1D1D508-A013-46E8-A763-118E098B9855.jpeg

D51AEFE0-6EB1-4595-92E9-7626CF1B1461.jpeg

11EEBDC1-29B1-40BE-918C-83BCAC7A0AD9.jpeg

778B419C-F089-4110-8255-F76D4E93A605.jpeg

F4DC59A8-61F3-4936-88FE-6CE2F486BF6C.jpeg

7295216A-760D-40E0-AF9D-C9D1DE044BCD.jpeg

CA5B3AF0-F17C-4D83-90D1-8729DAF2F043.jpeg

B3B502F1-CD93-4FCF-989C-6A2E977E692B.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Great Buck! 1

Excellent work, thats a good one!  Thanks for taking us along and the updates.  Nicely done.

• Like 1