Sign in to follow this  
AzRaised08

Unit 27 Semi Live Late Bull Hunt

3 hours ago, idgaf said:

Side note-. My nephew killed his bull today

Pics or it didn’t happen 

25 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Pics or it didn’t happen 

He's doing one of those Instagram two day teaser things.  Once he post a full picture. I'll post one.  It's a really good bull.  (He does wear flat brim hats, shoots a 6.5 creedmore, wears kuiu, crispi boots and gets abused thoroughly from me for it)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, idgaf said:

He's doing one of those Instagram two day teaser things.  Once he post a full picture. I'll post one.  It's a really good bull.  (He does wear flat brim hats, shoots a 6.5 creedmore, wears kuiu, crispi boots and gets abused thoroughly from me for it)

Did he use the 6.5 to kill his bull? My buddy just killed a bull in unit 1 it took six shots to make them stay in place all in the Boiler Room.

13 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Did he use the 6.5 to kill his bull? My buddy just killed a bull in unit 1 it took six shots to make them stay in place all in the Boiler Room.

Not possible.... If you hit an animal in the foot with a creedmoor they will die instantly

• Haha 1

It may  have been a 7mm08 but I was on a roll.  One shot at 300 yards went about twenty yards and then rolled two hundred.  

Here is a picture of my nieces bull while he builds the dramatic irony on his instastory

FB_IMG_1575294274750.thumb.jpg.8e7bb41a8226674cbd5298f7b8541d24.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 2

40 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

What bullet? 

I hit my cow elk with one 135gr Berger Classic Hunter from a 6.5x55. She went 40 yards tops. Her lungs were shredded. 

52 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Shred him on the gun, hat, and camo, but the boots are legit. I love mine.

14 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

What bullet? 

I hit my cow elk with one 135gr Berger Classic Hunter from a 6.5x55. She went 40 yards tops. Her lungs were shredded. 

143 eldx.  This was a bull though, they definatly seem tougher to me. 

Did he give it time to bleed out, or just keep shooting?

Was he in close quarters with it? I have seen a cow elk take massive damage and keep moving but she was very close to the shooters and the adrenaline was pumping and keeping her on her feet. 

The other 4 cows I have been around when shot were at longer ranges (150-350yrds) and they didn't know where the shooter was, or what was going on. They all dropped from 1 or 2 shots and ran less then 40 yards each. 

35 minutes ago, idgaf said:

It may  have been a 7mm08 but I was on a roll.  One shot at 300 yards went about twenty yards and then rolled two hundred.  

Here is a picture of my nieces bull while he builds the dramatic irony on his instastory

FB_IMG_1575294274750.thumb.jpg.8e7bb41a8226674cbd5298f7b8541d24.jpg

That’s an awesome bull! Congrats to your nephew on his hunt!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind words and following along! It’s still hard to believe it all turned out the way it did. I took measurements on the bull and the unofficial score we calculated was 305 4/8! We did most of the butchering at home today and have some jerky marinating in the fridge. Can’t wait to make it tomorrow! (The picture is from last night before we cut up all the meat.)

CEE5F223-0169-4644-B621-B3331540B4BC.jpeg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

Did he give it time to bleed out, or just keep shooting?

Was he in close quarters with it? I have seen a cow elk take massive damage and keep moving but she was very close to the shooters and the adrenaline was pumping and keeping her on her feet. 

The other 4 cows I have been around when shot were at longer ranges (150-350yrds) and they didn't know where the shooter was, or what was going on. They all dropped from 1 or 2 shots and ran less then 40 yards each. 

It was 500ish yards so plenty less in impact is expected.  To be fair my kids killed 3 cows with 139 grain sst and I'd did the trick just fine. But that was with a 7-08.  To be fair hornady makes 147 grain eldms that I think would do just fine for a bull. He drilled it just to keep him from running and dealing with a potential loss.  

5 minutes ago, afirsttimer08 said:

Thank you all for your kind words and following along! It’s still hard to believe it all turned out the way it did. I took measurements on the bull and the unofficial score we calculated was 305 4/8! We did most of the butchering at home today and have some jerky marinating in the fridge. Can’t wait to make it tomorrow! (The picture is from last night before we cut up all the meat.)

CEE5F223-0169-4644-B621-B3331540B4BC.jpeg

Good for you dude! That's a great bull especially for a late hunt. Ya done good..

Are you new to hunting in general or just new to elk?

• Like 1