Sign in to follow this  
rcorley

Garmin InReach vs. GenSpot?

The annual fee for my GenSpot is now at $225/yr. Jeesh.
Anybody use the InReach?
What does that cost annually?
I would be interested in the Freedom Safety Plan since I only use it for 5 months,
Oct-Feb.
So. . . you can "suspend" the service on months not used, right?
And when suspended, there is no monthly fee?
Thanks. Bob C.

You are correct.  The freedom plans have no monthly fee when not in use.  They are slightly more expensive though but well worth it.  I usually only run mine 2-3 months a year.   Never heard of a gspot, I probably couldn’t find it anyhow......

• Wow! 1

Oh forgot to add: with the GenSpot I get 3 "saved" messages for options (plus the SOS). I understand that with InReach you can send a specific detailed email?????

11 hours ago, yotebuster said:

You are correct.  The freedom plans have no monthly fee when not in use.  They are slightly more expensive though but well worth it.  I usually only run mine 2-3 months a year.   Never heard of a gspot, I probably couldn’t find it anyhow......

You’ve never heard of a gspot? 😂

Not only in the Iridium satellite system better with InReach, but:  Called Spot to cancel my contract today.  They kept raising prices.  $225 annually plus taxes and fees.  Automatic renewal.  Forget it.  I'm outta there.
Oh but guess what???!!!!  They now have a new  "pricing structure."  They dropped the annual fee to $149 !!!!  Because everybody -- like me -- is dropping their service.  You think they would've still charged me $225.   OH  YEAH!  They definitely chased me off!
Lesson learned.  And if you have a Spot, call to be sure you get the $149 !!!
They tried to take advantage of me.  Sorry, but I'm done with that.  The InReach Mini is with Freedom Plan is looking better and better.  Bob C.