Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Diesel Gelling?

A few years back I was just about to Thatcher and was stopped at an ADOT enforcement check station, they were testing all diesels to make sure no one was running "red" fuel. Farm equipment was excluded.  

If you fill up your truck up north you’ll be ok. I bought some power service diesel additive just in case. If it gets 10 -15 degrees it can gel up in your filter or fuel lines. 

7 minutes ago, 654321 said:

A few years back I was just about to Thatcher and was stopped at an ADOT enforcement check station, they were testing all diesels to make sure no one was running "red" fuel. Farm equipment was excluded.  

How can they stop and search someone without cause?

17 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

Same way they can check any and every semi truck on the road for compliance.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

They dip a sample of fuel from your tank and look for the red coloring. Road diesel is greenish, dyed offroad diesel is red.

2 hours ago, ctafoya said:

I would imagine the same way they do it for DUI checkpoints, the border patrol check stations that are a long ways from the border, ect. ect.

I got chased down the 89 when I was going to Rocky Point some  10  years back.  I saw a sign that said all diesel vehicles must stop about 20 miles north of Gila Bend.  Figured they meant semis so I kept rolling.  Guy saw ( heard?) me go by, jumped in a vehicle and pulled me over 10 miles down the road to take a sample. Gave me some static for not stopping, but told me why they were checking, asked " permission".  Wonder what would have happened if I said NO?

Back to original post, was up in Heber for the weekend, got down to 17 last night.  No problems starting without additive or blend.  Beautiful up there right now with all of the fresh snow.

• Like 1

Yotebuster knows ,living in N. Dakota. Listen to Him. I spent 4+ years up there and got rid of my diesel after the 2nd. Winter.  Your good easily to 0  its -20 and below gets em if not used regullary.. I knew guys that would leave their Semi running all weekend when it got real bad........BOB!

• Like 1

Pretty sure you can get #1 at the Chevron on the corner of 48th street and Broadway on the Phoenix/Tempe border just off I-10.