PRDATR

Anyone know the family washed away in Tonto Basin?

32 minutes ago, bojangles said:

They’ve wanted a bridge for years.  People have been dying in that creek for years.  The government has been finding ways not to build the bridge for a long time.  People have been driving around the barricades for years, too.  It’s pretty common, to all you stone casters, pretty much a way of life for those who live over there.

This ^^^

Gila County Sherrifs office, zoning, all of them are complicit.   Put up barricades & wash their hands of the situation.  Everybody knows barricades are ignored out of necessity, law enforcement looks the other way.  I'm sure Gila County happily issues building permits and collects property taxes from people affected by the "creek".  Local residents do their best to safely cross the creek in large high clearance vehicles when the Tonto is up.  It's a dance with the Devil.  Time for the county to get the bridge done.  

• Like 1

I have a question for those that want to see these people go down.  How much time in prison do you think is enough?

I've crossed it while its running. I would not have thought twice about crossing it in the truck he had. I've taken my kids out 4 wheeling where rollovers were a possibility. All of my kids have crashed the quads, dirt bikes, skateboards, scooters, etc. over the years. Had injuries from scrapes to broken teeth, teeth through lips, broken arms, you get the point. My youngest rolled his ankle and knee on a deer hunt last year and rolled down a hill. Should I have been charged with negligence or child abuse for my kids getting hurt, or the possibility of them being injured or killed?

I get the sign was there for a reason, but for people that live in the area I'm sure crossing that spot is normal and necessary. I don't know if manslaughter is the correct charge here, unless they were out drinking all day. Nobody wins here no matter what the outcome is.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AZLance said:

We are a nation of laws... you can't pick n choose what laws to enforce or who to enforce them on. In the end, he killed 3 children and now must face the consequences set out in the law.  Everyone has a sad story, we cant enforce laws on emotions.

There will be a civil suit at some time and that is where a jury will decide if the county is financially responsible for the death of these children. But right now we are talking about the criminal case against the parents.

I still feel sorry for those children who had their futures erased by no action of their own. The parents chose their own destiny. 

Actually every day LEO decided whether to arrest, give a ticket or warning or downgrade penalties etc... 

• Like 4

Sadly, it usually takes a tragedy to get things done.  After multiple collisions and fatalities,  a modern interchange was constructed at SR 87 & Bush Hwy. I personally witnessed a fatality there before the bridge. 

Anyways, it's looks to be the same case here. Funding is approved for a bridge over Tonto creek. 

https://www.azfamily.com/news/continuing_coverage/tonto_basin_tragedy/funding-for-tonto-creek-crossing-bridge-passes-house/article_bf013d24-59de-11ea-90cf-23bcdcfebc7f.html

• Like 1

wait, so some of you are blaming the county for not having a good enough barrier? if you guys even need a sign to tell you that you shouldnt cross tonto creek in a raging flood, you probably shouldnt own a firearm either 

and if someone from out of state who drives passed a road closed sign into a raging creek gets stuck, like a local they have nobody to blame but themselves 

• Like 4

why would any city, county or govt spend 20 million on a bridge for a few people. They can't even keep up the intercity work and to spend 20m on a remote community, no way.  There is always the disclaimers of flood zones, your choice to live there or not. If you do, dont ask for anything.  Sad for the kids.

• Like 1

I am really shocked at some of the responses here. The dad is the one that decided to cross. He made a horrible mistake and 3 kids died. He will live with that choice every day of his life. Why would we punish him more? Lets spend our efforts putting away the people that abuse kids. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I am really shocked at some of the responses here. The dad is the one that decided to cross. He made a horrible mistake and 3 kids died. He will live with that choice every day of his life. Why would we punish him more? Lets spend our efforts putting away the people that abuse kids. 

So someone shoots and kills someone then has remorse for what they did and we should let that be enough? Let them live with that choice every day of their lives? Na

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

So someone shoots and kills someone then has remorse for what they did and we should let that be enough? Let them live with that choice every day of their lives? Na

You missed the point. Intent has everything to do with it. If your intent is to do harm, then you should be held accountable. Sometimes you don't intend for something to go bad and it does and sometimes you have to pay for those actions. All I am saying is he already paid for his mistake 3 times over. I don't want my tax dollars spent to punish him more. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

It has a lot to do with intentions.  With a gun, it’s hard to have innocent intentions. It also has a lot to do with what society feels justice is worth.  It serves justice to lock up the guy with a gun, weather or not there’s remorse his sentence will reflect.  A loving parent(s) that made a mistake and cost the lives of their kids, some would say you don’t need prison for that one to serve justice.  If they did what they did with malice, then they deserve prison.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, n2horns said:

why would any city, county or govt spend 20 million on a bridge for a few people. They can't even keep up the intercity work and to spend 20m on a remote community, no way.  There is always the disclaimers of flood zones, your choice to live there or not. If you do, dont ask for anything.  Sad for the kids.

Why? Because it is needed. If you had a tank in the backlot and one of your kids drowned in it. How many would need to drown thereafter until you mitigate the situation?

A fucking horse dies and up go the fences at salt river overnight.

thwy have the watch for horse sign. Why build the fence? Ahhh it was needed.