Sign in to follow this  
jcarter

How much water to take, 2 day pack-in

How much water would you take per person on a one night 2 day backpack hunt. It's about a 2 hour hike in, then almost glassing from camp the rest of the time.  Thanks, Andy 

plan on 1 to 1.5 liters for hike in and hike out, I would say about the same for the day while glassing and depending on food you may need some for dinner cooking?

so 5 or 6 liters. The nice thing is if you bring too much you can dump before hauling out.

We did a hot hunt this year about 5 miles from truck, I hauled 6 liters total in and filled 3.5 liters while in there, stayed 4 days and had mountain house dinners (16 oz per)

came out with 2.5 liters in pack and didn't dump any. we did a lot of miles each day also.

• Like 1

I would say 3-4 gallons, have more than you need to make sure you are hydrating everyday and not selling yourself short on water to make it last. 

• Like 1

A waterless shower is how we survive when hunting up to two weeks in the field. Using Hunters field wash wipes 

• Like 2

I/2 gallon a piece for hike in and same for hike out. Low intensity day 3 quarts a per person per day and water for cooking or coffee. Add that up as bare minimum and round up for comfort margins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

plan on 1 to 1.5 liters for hike in and hike out, I would say about the same for the day while glassing and depending on food you may need some for dinner cooking?

so 5 or 6 liters. The nice thing is if you bring too much you can dump before hauling out.

We did a hot hunt this year about 5 miles from truck, I hauled 6 liters total in and filled 3.5 liters while in there, stayed 4 days and had mountain house dinners (16 oz per)

came out with 2.5 liters in pack and didn't dump any. we did a lot of miles each day also.

This....

How much experience do you have hunting?  In my 30's I hunted 29 this time of the year and only took a liter when I left an hour before sunrise and came back two or three hours after sunset.

I did that for years. Also similiarly in other units.  The more you sweat the more water you need to drink so go slow.

1/2 gallon per person per day is the Absolute minimum I  take if there is no water source to filter,and i was trying to stay as light as possible. 1 gallon per day per person is ideal.