Sign in to follow this  
jcarter

How much water to take, 2 day pack-in

I drink a lot of water. 1 gallon minimum per day. Take some powdered Gatorade or something to help retain water.

Climate and food arrangements play a huge role in how much water I take.  I carry a 32oz. Nalgene for water and a 16 ounce for flavored electrolyte drinks.  My bladder in my pack holds 3 liters and is used to fill my nalgenes as needed.  I could make it on 4 litres, but would feel way better having 6ish.  I make coffee in the am, mountainhouse of some type in the evening and sometimes a dessert.  I also tend to pack more food than most.  I once count where I can, but food and water usually aren't one I focus on too much.  I consider them a necessity and just deal with the weight.

• Haha 1

" I also tend to pack more food than most"

Thats an understatement from the guy who ate a 2 lb package of elk  burger by himself!

Guest akaspecials

With all this rain and snow, I wouldn't carry more than a liter on my person. Every seep and bottom in the state is full. I wasn't even filtering after I finished my water from home... 

That being said, I just did a 2 day trip with moderate hiking and consumed 6 liters with food prep, coffee, and putting out my fire. 3 liters a day minimum in winter; up to 8 in summer.