Tradman

Ethics or not?

7 minutes ago, AZHunter1 said:

I believe ( but personal opinions on here really get the heck beat out of them) this is illegal! You cant even shoot from the road and with all the snow they  got I'm guessing they had to be on the road! Just sayin

Literally one step off the road is legal though. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Probably not legal but 110% ethical in my eyes. If the animal is wounded, needs to be put out of its misery and the original shooter cant hit it and doesn’t mind if his friends back him up. Or maybe they didn’t know who hit it and the elk was still standing so they kept shooting. Idk, I wasn’t there 

I agree.  If they got tags sling lead! No need for a pointless slow death with no recovery.  Of course not from the truck windows...

18 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

maybe they have handicap permit to shoot from a car. 

Champ permit

24 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I don't think the vehicle can be in motion at the time of fire. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tradman said:

Yesterday I witnessed from start to end a group of hunters in 5BN chasing a large group of elk, shooting from their vehicle as they are chasing the elk in their truck. The bull was hit yet they countinued to shoot counted about 15 shots total from 4 different hunters. Eventually we watched the bull go down, but this made me upset. Tried to get their plate number but was unable to. 

The guy posted this above.

a group of hunters in 5BN chasing a large group of elk,

big f/n deal

shooting from their vehicle as they are chasing the elk in their truck.

if this is true that would be illegal.

The bull was hit yet they countinued to shoot counted about 15 shots total from 4 different hunters.

Not illegal if all had tags

but this made me upset.

Who f'n cares if your upset ya crybaby. the ONLY THING DONE WRONG if anyone can believe your story is they were shooting from the vehicle.

I am doubt the entire story for the simple Fact your a nut job, your questioning ETHICS and then your feelings were HURT! grow up cupcake.

you never mentioned the fact about something being Illegal

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Yesterday I witnessed from start to end a group of hunters in 5BN chasing a large group of elk, shooting from their vehicle as they are chasing the elk in their truck. The bull was hit yet they countinued to shoot counted about 15 shots total from 4 different hunters. Eventually we watched the bull go down, but this made me upset. Tried to get their plate number but was unable to. 

If you have a champ permit vehicle must be off road and definitely not moving when shooting from vehicle. 

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents. That's not how I ever hunted,  hunting by committee. I'm not saying it's wrong , just not the way I learned. I love to" still hunt" , just making  my way ever so slowly in an area where I've found lots of sign and seeing the deer or elk before they've seen me. That's what I do and I'm not changing. I heard a long long time ago about a saying about fishermen. 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. I sorta think that applies to hunting as well. Let those guys run around like nuts, on opening day I'll usually be on a elevated position, if possible, glassing ,  glassing and glassing until my eyes hurt. If that fails it's time to slither around and see how that goes. Oh, by the way, I have a "stage 4" subluxation degeneration of my spine.   Sucks to hurt doing what I love but oh well. Everything changes if it's a CHAMP.  I wonder if I'll want one when I can't walk. Not sure

• Like 2

Take/Hunt From A Vehicle (A.R.S. 17-301 B, R12-4-319) Pages 108 and 130

"No person may take wildlife from a motor vehicle, watercraft or aircraft, except as permitted by Commission Order, and under the provisions of the Challenged Hunter Access Mobility Permit Commission Rule (R12-4217). “Take,” as defined by law, includes pursuing, shooting, hunting and killing wildlife. You are unlawfully using a vehicle to take wildlife if you intentionally drive around until you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make an attempt to take. “Road hunting” is illegal; so is pursuing wildlife with a vehicle, chasing or heading off moving wildlife with a vehicle, and driving off-road to get closer to wildlife. You do not have to shoot from the vehicle to be in violation."

• Like 2

"Ethics" refers to laws whereas "Morals" refers to what one believes is right/wrong aside from laws.  CHAMP hunters can shoot from a stopped/(& I believe shut off)parked vehicle that's off the road and not shooting across etc., but others cannot legally do so.  Everyone in a hunting party, or even others/"competitors" can all shoot at the same animal until it falls/goes down.  That's not unethical, but can be somewhat immoral.

I've run across a CHAMP hunter in 5BN in the past.  The guy with the CHAMP tag was unable to walk and used horses for the most part to hunt.  Great for him, but the problem was his buddies who were not handicapped were using the excuse of his permit to hunt illegally as well in that they were driving off-road claiming the CHAMP permit allowed them to do so to track an animal previously shot (which it does not).  It appeared they were "scouting" in the guise of tracking an animal previously shot, although they had no blood trail, nor even tracks they were following.

It's unlikely all 4 of these shooters, if they were all shooting from a vehicle (parked & off the road or otherwise) had CHAMP tags.  The attitude the hunters from 13 years ago had was that since one guy had a CHAMP tag, they all got to take advantage of off-road driving, in a restricted area to support the one hunter (others had regular tags).  The law at the time was that you could drive off-road to recover an elk, but not to track/follow/look for an elk that was previously shot.  Why they weren't using horses to track is beyond me, but they were driving off-road to track/look for (supposedly) a wounded bull... (ya, right...!)

These guys (13 years ago) didn't like being "educated" when they were told what they were doing was illegal...  they did seem to stop it afterwards though.  G&F did get involved eventually, but I never heard of what came of their interaction.

Regarding "buddy hunting", personally I'd just as soon see them all hunt together and all current tag holders shoot at the same animal until it goes down for good so that they don't go around wounding several animals without tagging them.  We all have phones nowadays, most of which have pretty decent cameras.  If you see something like this going on, pull out your cell and video it if possible.  Then call the G&F and share the video especially if they're hunting illegally.  I'm sure a judge would have a "field day" with that!

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess the truck wasn’t actually in motion while they were shooting.. 

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2019 at 3:24 PM, 654321 said:

Ethics are usually a personal choice, example shooting animals over salt, shooting quail on the ground, ducks on water. Nothing illegal about any of those actions in AZ, but some people might have issue with it.  What you witnessed above is flat out ILLEGAL at least 2 violations witnessed.

Have you ever hunted gambles quail at the end of the season??  Birds just run on the ground, and half the time Im running to keep up with them.  

• Like 1