dcshorthairs

Smoking prime rib, then travel

Guys. I have my prime rib recipe and cooking technique down for prime rib on my green mountain grill.  This year, I will be smoking/grilling a 16lb piece of meat. Kicker is I need to cook it then travel 1.5 hours to a family event for the meal. Has anyone ever done this? Wondering what temp to pull it off at and best way to transport. I have heard to wrap in foil and put in cooler and let it rest until arrival at destination. Pop in oven to finish off if needed. Anyone ever done this or something similar. Thursday is the day. 

• Like 1

Never tried it with prime rib, but I have smoked pork butts, immediately wrapped in foil, placed in a cooler with a towel on the top and bottom, and left them for about 4 hours. After 4 hours they were still to hot to bare hand pull.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, rossislider said:

Never tried it with prime rib, but I have smoked pork butts, immediately wrapped in foil, placed in a cooler with a towel on the top and bottom, and left them for about 4 hours. After 4 hours they were still to hot to bare hand pull.

Good to know. I will try the towel trick. I like a pink prime rib which I consider to be medium rare 130-135 degrees internal temp. I think cooking to 130 is the ticket and pulling it then. Wrapping it will cause it to continue to cook but hopefully still pink when it arrives and is served. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Foil wrap it, wrap it in towels and put it in a cooler. It will probably carryover cook a little, but probably not to much. 

• Like 2

That is a expensive piece of meat on which to experiment.  I would pull at 120F and then package it up.  Then you can finish it off.  Pork butts are a bad comparison as they are cooked up to 200F.

• Like 3

Id pull it earlier than the low range of your desired final temp.  If you want 130-135 final, I would pull at 125, wrap in foil, put a hot towel around that and place in an ice chest.  As mentioned above, doing it this way, hours later the meat can still be too hot to handle.  

• Like 1

Yeah I think you guys are right. 125 seems to be the ticket. I have cooked so many different ones but never packaged and hauled tail with one. Should be a good challenge. 

John- I didn’t buy this one lol. My father in law picked it up so I am experimenting with his 😁. I gave them fair warning just in case. But I think it’s going to be just fine. Love cooking on my smoker for things like this

Like others have mentioned, I would probably pull it about 10 degrees below your desired done temperature as the temp will continue to rise after you pull it and wrap it. Please come back in here and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

I just got done smoking a brisket to 205 degress the other day. Wrapped it in foil immediately and 8 Hours later in a cooler it was still at 140 degrees. 

just wrap it with foil in a cooler and you’ll be fine like others said

A normal uncovered prime rib will raise 7-10 degrees resting uncovered.  I would either go for about 115 and no more and cover it then heat it in the broiler, or better yet smoke it and take it to 100 and then finish it in the oven when you get there.  Don’t take it to 125 And insulate it for an hour or you’ll be eating boot leather.   

• Like 1

Prime rib will continue to cook for about an hour after you pull it.  I learned the hard way on my first two.  I like rare/medium rare  and they were all verging  on medium when I carved them..  Pull it before it passes 125 if  you want medium rare ish.  Pull  a big roast when it is 5-10 degrees below desired finish temp. Per the Certified Angus Beef  .com website... my last one was a 6 rib and it was primo!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Prime rib will continue to cook for about an hour after you pull it.  I learned the hard way on my first two.  I like rare/medium rare  and they were all verging  on medium when I carved them..  Pull it before it passes 125 if  you want medium rare ish.  Pull  a big roast when it is 5-10 degrees below desired finish temp. Per the Certified Angus Beef  .com website... my last one was a 6 rib and it was primo!

Ya dont do what said 

A good prime rib cooked to medium is still enjoyable.  Its like having sex with a condom on, its  still enjoyable but it can be better. Medium rare is the max for me, my wife wants medium.  Almost grounds for a divorce, but I realized I can slice her a chunk and cook it into oblivion after I rescue the lions share for me.