Sign in to follow this  
AverageJoe

Swarovski Repair - Dissapointed

I recently bought a pair of used 12x50 el's from a member on here.  While using them recently, the focus wheel broke.  What happened next was surprising, maybe just naive on my part, but worth writing a post about for future reference.  

I called Swarovski customer service to start a repair process on these.  I informed them i bought them used and am willing to pay to have them repaired.  I was told they were still registered under a different name than myself, to which i replied "yes, i bought them used".  They then informed me they would not work on them since I was not the original owner, until they spoke with the original owner.  I asked what if you cant get ahold of the original owner???  Am i out a couple thousand bucks??  They said yep, we wont touch them.  I then called Swarovski customer service, which gave me the same answer.  

So I am currently stuck with a $2000 paper weight, waiting to hopefully hear back from the original owner.  Has anyone ever run into this?  

I have two sets that were both purchased used off this site. I’ve sent them both in for repairs a few times without any issues. 

Try going online and registering them before the repair maybe? 

Bummer that you are getting that message from them.  I posted about a similar scenario (used binos previously registered to someone else.....), but the outcome was positive.  They basically told me that they would try for 30 days to get hold of the previously registered owner to verify the 15's were sold to me.  In my case, they were able to get hold of the previous owner and transfer the warranty.  I thought though, that they said if they could not get hold of the registered owner after 30 days, that they would transfer the warranty to me (maybe I misunderstood).

Anyway, I really hope it works out for you.  That is a BIG loss, if not.

Good luck!

S.

I understand the reasoning behind it, I believe when you buy them used you can have the warranty transferred fairly easily.   I guess it protects a person from theft and would potentially identify a thief if there was ever an issue with them.  Would really open a can of worms if the person you bought them from didn’t cooperate.  

2 hours ago, AverageJoe said:

I recently bought a pair of used 12x50 el's from a member on here.  While using them recently, the focus wheel broke.  What happened next was surprising, maybe just naive on my part, but worth writing a post about for future reference.  

I called Swarovski customer service to start a repair process on these.  I informed them i bought them used and am willing to pay to have them repaired.  I was told they were still registered under a different name than myself, to which i replied "yes, i bought them used".  They then informed me they would not work on them since I was not the original owner, until they spoke with the original owner.  I asked what if you cant get ahold of the original owner???  Am i out a couple thousand bucks??  They said yep, we wont touch them.  I then called Swarovski customer service, which gave me the same answer.  

So I am currently stuck with a $2000 paper weight, waiting to hopefully hear back from the original owner.  Has anyone ever run into this?  

Yes. Amongst other CS issues in the last few years with multiple high dollar top end optics. I do not own anything Swarovski any longer. There are options that are 99 percent of their glass for less $ and as good as it gets CS...

Thanks for the replies, just wanted to post   To make others aware when buying used optics. The guy i bought them from on here got back to me recently and took care of it...Still amazed Swarovski would have a policy that no repairs can be made unless registration is transfered to new buyer, and be such d-bags about it. 

Lots of theft of high end optics.  From both retail stores and individuals.  I can kind of understand this.  Protecting the original buyer or supplier.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I understand the reasoning behind it, I believe when you buy them used you can have the warranty transferred fairly easily.   I guess it protects a person from theft and would potentially identify a thief if there was ever an issue with them.  Would really open a can of worms if the person you bought them from didn’t cooperate.  

36 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Lots of theft of high end optics.  From both retail stores and individuals.  I can kind of understand this.  Protecting the original buyer or supplier.  

not only the above but if they had a open end "I dont care whose policy"  but there CAN be alot of people IE used Resellers

people are nuts to buy High dollar USED optics at  anything more than 1/2 price.  like the buyer above he paid dang near close to new price for a pair of OLD USED DISCONTINUED (yes FACTORY DISCONUED) OPTICS.  He's lucky as heck that he got ahold of the seller and might be still lucky getting them repaired if not it sucks to be him.

people are greedy and cheap its just human nature, they wanna buy cheap and sell for cost.

• Like 1

No problem buying used Swarovski, I just make sure the seller is willing to transfer the warranty before I send money. No big deal. Much better than overpaying for Chinese optics just because they’ll replace your crap no questions asked. 

• Like 7

Glad to hear you got things settled.  I am sorry to say it but props to Swarovski for not only not servicing what could have been a stolen product but being willing to service it once they confirmed it was not stolen.  I am glad to know this is an issue too.  I dont plan to purchase any used glass but I did once buy a pair of leica binoculars on a whim because the price was too good to pass up.  They had no issue servicing them for a fee but it could have been a real nightmare if they had done the same.