Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Late November Coues 2019

my friends who are members here spotted this buck saturday night but was too late to go after it. they figured it was about 85." I went back on Tuesday with my Dad to the same spot, not specifically looking for that deer but figured if i did see him id probably try to shoot him. there was a couple guys already there. we moved down the road a ways and started glassing a different area but i could still glass back and see some of the original spot. we saw  does but no bucks. at about 8:30am when the sun broke through the clouds I spotted him 2200 yards away. we drove around a little closer, walked out, hiked up on a hill 600 yards away from where we last saw him. he was no where to be found. kept glassing the same small area i thought he was in and 30 minutes later out of nowhere i see him just standing broadside out in the open. i range him 648 yards, took the binos off the tripod and shot off it, missed the first shot. kinda hard to time it right when youre just drifting the crosshairs over him. second shot, i hear the wallop. i get the binoculars up and hes hurt bad. he goes down, gets back up, goes down again. no movement, high fives. then i see slight movement, my heart sinks im afraid i wounded him with a bad shot, blew his foot off or something. i watch a while, no movement then i see his antlers swaying. its been probably 25 minutes since initial hit and i see what appears to be death throws then nothing. we get over there, and he was absolutely smoked with a golf ball hole through the power plant. tough son of a bitch, i still cant make sense of it. 

9C190CD2-E9E6-4049-9105-0BBA6E86F691.jpeg

240F919D-1D24-4DE1-9AF7-FF406B9E059E.jpeg

6F675B4D-F23A-478B-8E2B-B0C953A57D2B.jpeg

Big bodied deer, swollen neck 

• Like 19
  • Great Buck! 1

Right on Richard!  That is awesome man!  I think most people would be pretty happy with a deer like that.  

• Like 1

Just now, CatfishKev said:

Good buck, pretty wide too.

15" wide. idk if thats good or average or what. i came up with a score of 87 2/8. but its probably more like 85

• Like 2

Man that’s awesome.  Next time rest your rifle between your truck and side mirror. Much better rest ha ha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kaffer62 said:

Man that’s awesome.  Next time rest your rifle between your truck and side mirror. Much better rest ha ha

the window, the hood, the frame of the rhino, all make good rests. ive never used any of those of course....

2 hours ago, Mocha1545 said:

Nice Buck! Amazing how they just appear!

Ghostlike. Top buck for sure, I'd say the rut is on from the look of his neck.

• Like 1

Nice Buck!  He looks like he is in the rut.  We found a nice muley  (160-170ish) last week that was all swollen up already with 7 does.  

• Like 1

Very nice Deer. If they aren't rutting this weekend it wont be long by the looks of his neck.

• Like 1