CJNAZ

Weight Distribution Hitch recommendations

48 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Did you end up buying it? That kind of trailer weight doesn’t need bars. 

No, haven't bought anything. After chatting with several guys I am not going to get anything right away. My biggest concern was sway control more than weight distribution. And that is mainly for the comfort of my wife when she will be pulling it.

I have always pulled my trailer with a WD hitch since I bought it 4 years ago.  I also have air bags on my Tundra. 

Last week on my way home, I lost a sway bar somewhere between Redington and San Manuel - it was late and too far to turn back and look for it-  (it was my fault, I lost the carter pin and was too stupid to put something in temporarily so the bar fell off, probably on the dirt road).

I drove home 2 hours without the WD hitch. I could tell a MAJOR difference driving without it.  I ordered a new bar yesterday.  Did I need it? No, I got home without it, but since your wife will drive it and possibly your family ride in it, don't risk it just get one. 

My 0.2 cents

• Like 3

Redman, and all who have replied, I appreciate all of the advice and feedback. This site is my "go-to" source for lots of info.

Trailer weight is 5600lbs. dry

Tongue weight with H2O and Propane is 335lbs.

Cargo Carry Capacity for the trailer is 1530lbs.

So based on everything I have learned both here and thru talking with distributors, I am going with a 600lb. tongue weight WDH w/sway control.  Mostly for sway control. I've been made very generous offers (thx guys) for WHD's with heavier weight loads.  Have learned that for how lite my rig is a heavier WHD will increase the potential of destroying the a-frame tongue of the trailer by putting too much stress on it, especially being 14 years old.

5 hours ago, Redman said:

I have always pulled my trailer with a WD hitch since I bought it 4 years ago.  I also have air bags on my Tundra. 

Last week on my way home, I lost a sway bar somewhere between Redington and San Manuel - it was late and too far to turn back and look for it-  (it was my fault, I lost the carter pin and was too stupid to put something in temporarily so the bar fell off, probably on the dirt road).

I drove home 2 hours without the WD hitch. I could tell a MAJOR difference driving without it.  I ordered a new bar yesterday.  Did I need it? No, I got home without it, but since your wife will drive it and possibly your family ride in it, don't risk it just get one. 

My 0.2 cents

What he said. 

5 hours ago, Redman said:

My 0.2 cents

You have a Tundra so yes you would tell tremendously.