Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Coues deer with a lever action?

i saw theres quite a few threads about it but i didnt see any pics. i thought i remember one from a few years ago but couldnt find it. have any of you taken a coues buck with a lever action? 

I have killed a few back in the day with dads marlin 35cal lever action with the gold trigger. Just like the Winchester 30-30

• Like 2

My dad shot the biggest spike I’ve ever seen (whole main beam that wrap around with no tines).  80 yards with Winchester open sight 30-30 lever action pre 64.  He didn’t make it  30 yrds.  But my dad is 75 with a champ permit.  Good memories right there.  

• Like 2

Alan Ellsworth used to tell me about his fathers' Coues hunts on the san carlos with $10 otc tags and a m94 30/30.

the first deer i helped gut was a fellow from tucson with a marlin lever in .22/250 in 1973 or '74.

lee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

I have killed a few back in the day with dads marlin 35cal lever action with the gold trigger. Just like the Winchester 30-30

i shot my first buck when i was 12 in south dakota with a model 94 30-30. was thinking it would be cool to break it out and try to shoot something with it. 

1 hour ago, grey curse said:

My dad shot the biggest spike I’ve ever seen (whole main beam that wrap around with no tines).  80 yards with Winchester open sight 30-30 lever action pre 64.  He didn’t make it  30 yrds.  But my dad is 75 with a champ permit.  Good memories right there.  

very cool dude. 

1 hour ago, Delw said:

does a 30-30 contender count

30-30 contender

lever action

pick one. 

• Like 1

I shot my first buck, 2 point coues, 40 years ago with Marlin 30-30. Shot a couple more mulies with it, then it was passed down to my brother who shot several deer with it. Didn’t have scopes or binos either....

• Like 2

"  I shot my first buck when i was 12 in south dakota with a model 94 30-30. was thinking it would be cool to break it out and try to shoot something with it. "

Do it!  Its all about the hunt, not necessarily the kill.   If thats something you've been thinking about then go for it.  Anyone can sling a bullet at 700 yards these days apparently , just read the posts.  I killed my first  coues at 40 yards with a scoped rifle... I am still amazed I could see and hit it.

My dad started me out with his Marlin lever in a .32 Winchester Special.. sold it to buy me a 30-06 bolt when I was 16.  Still have the bolt, would love to still have his old Marlin.

• Like 1

My 1st centerfire rifle was a BLR ie Browning lever rifle in 308. I got it around 1972. never shot it at a coues deer but killed many elk, blacktails and muleys with it had open sights to. Put a scope on it and never shot it again go figure. I have half dozen 30-30s just cheap models and never fired them. then someone on here started talking about hunting with them (think it was yotes). Daughters boyfriend has one so took mine out a few times and shot them kinda fun. prettty accurate too. if I ever put in for a rifle coues deer i'd take it no problem. but I only do OTC coues .

I kinda been getting a itching to start buying lever guns again cause they are a blast to shoot

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

How tf do you change your left and right sighting with a model 94? Mine shoots 6” left

I think you have to carefully "push" one of the sights over with a punch, probably a brass one. I also think there is a tool made specifically for adjusting them that uses a threaded piece to more precisely push them. 

• Like 1