broadhead

Coyote Hunters, AR 15 Opinions Needed

Working on buying my first AR-15 and I could use a little advice from the guys who hunt coyotes in southern Arizona since one of the reasons I'm getting one in addition to having a solid all around rifle is for hunting all the dogs down here. I'll make sure the rifle has a quality trigger and scope so basically I'm deciding between the 16" and 18" option. Not sure it makes much of a difference so just wondering if anyone has seen a noticeable difference between the two. Also wondering what range your typical shots are on coyotes in the hills and ridges down here. I'd love to hear some thoughts. Thanks.

I have used several different calibers and barrel lengths, longest shot on a coyote (with an AR) was 86 yards, same distance as I shot a javelina with a .44 Desert Eagle. Point being......shoot them with what you have, and like. 😎

• Like 2

a good friend of mine-Brian Brooks of joseph city might be a little 'north' lol but you could not have a better anyone to talk dog rifle with.   not hard to find and worth a ringtone or a click or 2 and he has a rifle shop.  well-maybe more of a  'dog shop'.

lee  

A big question is are you keeping fur or not. If so I would look at an ar in maybe 204. If not, barrel length in a 223 makes no difference. Even a 10" barrel will be fine. Coyotes are very camoflauged and crafty critters. I rarely am able to pick them up outside of 200 yards and a lot of times it is well within that range on "busy" sets with lots of terrain and vegetation to keep track of. I like a 3-9 on an ar. In my opinion anything more is not needed because long shots in my experience are rare on coyotes.

7 minutes ago, nateNAU said:

A big question is are you keeping fur or not. If so I would look at an ar in maybe 204. If not, barrel length in a 223 makes no difference. Even a 10" barrel will be fine. Coyotes are very camoflauged and crafty critters. I rarely am able to pick them up outside of 200 yards and a lot of times it is well within that range on "busy" sets with lots of terrain and vegetation to keep track of. I like a 3-9 on an ar. In my opinion anything more is not needed because long shots in my experience are rare on coyotes.

Thanks for the input guys.

Nate, to answer your question, yes I eventually want to keep the fur, even if not right away while I figure out which bullet the rifle likes and which one doesn't blast the heck out of the pelt. Not too concerned about keeping them right away tho. I've looked at different calibers like you mentioned and I might add another rifle in another caliber down the line specifically for predator hunting but for now I'm going with 5.56.

Sounds like a 16" is a perfectly viable option, which I prefer a little more anyway. Anyone else with any thoughts please share. Thanks!

I’ve been using a 16in m4 for the last 8 years or so. With an eotech 512. 60g Hornaday soft points sited 1inch high. Shots from 5-250y you can hold dead on. 

• Like 1

Don't do 16". The muzzle blast is really bad once you start getting below 18" or so. 

18-20" is perfect for a calling rifle. Mine are all 18" and are absolutely perfect....

I never noticed any muzzle blast. but i bet it has more to do with the muzzle device on the barrel than the few inches between them 

18 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

Don't do 16". The muzzle blast is really bad once you start getting below 18" or so. 

18-20" is perfect for a calling rifle. Mine are all 18" and are absolutely perfect....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Probably 80% of my shots were under 50 yards. A 2x7, 1x4 or red dot work well for close up shots. Are  you going to use an e-caller or hand calls?

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/222129

Probably both but leaning more on the e-caller depending on the situation. As for the muzzle blast I've never really noticed that either, and that is after more than a decade with my M4 service rifle but regardless it will be suppressed.

Hey how do you find your AR likes that 53 gr Vmax you linked? I keep reading conflicting reviews with the negative mostly a result of the lighter bullet being significantly less accurate than a heavier 65 grain or more.

3 hours ago, broadhead said:

Probably both but leaning more on the e-caller depending on the situation. As for the muzzle blast I've never really noticed that either, and that is after more than a decade with my M4 service rifle but regardless it will be suppressed.

Hey how do you find your AR likes that 53 gr Vmax you linked? I keep reading conflicting reviews with the negative mostly a result of the lighter bullet being significantly less accurate than a heavier 65 grain or more.

They shoot fine in my Colt and do OK on the few dogs I have shot with it but I have shot a few hundred over the last 30 + years using a 22-250 and I've only lost one.  I've found the extra energy from the 22-250 puts them right down and coming out of a 24" barrel helps.

All taken with a hand call.

• Like 1