Sign in to follow this  
Hullensian

Headlamps and stealth

Wanted to get the forums take on headlamps ability to blow out an area. 

I’ve always turned mine off or used very sparingly in red the last 1/2 mile or so to the mornings glassing spot but I’ve been taking my 73 years young father out with me and he just doesn’t have the stability to find his footing that far without light.

What have y’all seen with all your combined years in the field?  Ever worked into an area with a headlamp and seen deer close by at first light that were obviously there the whole time?

Ive only killed a couple coues and they were late morning/evening kills

thanks all.

In my experience, hiking into an area in the dark with headlamps does not chase the deer out.    Have definitely spotted deer after first light in areas I’ve walked into with a headlamp only a short time prior. They feel quite safe in the dark.   

I posted on this topic last year.  Will try to find that post and share in this discussion.  

S.  

• Like 2

I always hike in the dark or under red but when I’m hiking with kids or my old man with me we just use white. Never noticed a difference In game.  

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

I always hike in the dark or under red but when I’m hiking with kids or my old man with me we just use white. Never noticed a difference In game.  

^^^ This. Don't over think it.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:41 PM, Hullensian said:

Thanks Stanley. I apologize for the poor etiquette. I must have missed it. I’ll go back and search using your handle. 

No worries at all.  Never would expect anyone to search the archives prior to posting a question/topic. ;)  Here is a link to the other chat.  Seems like deer enjoy & feel safe in the dark.  

S.

• Like 1

i've had deer just stand there and watch me walk past at 10-20 yds in the dark with a headlight on.  I kind of think they don't really see light like we do.  Ever spot lighted a deer and he never knew you were there until you made some noise?

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

i always leave myself the first minutes of light to road hunt on the way in. and then leave a little early so i can road hunt out in prime time 

You need to keep those secrets to yourself.

• Like 1

The area we archery hunt in the summer has a good number of bears and more than a couple cats floating around, so I use my head lamp all the way in and all the way out, scanning both sides of the trail and checking behind me frequently.  As mentioned by others I’ve walked right by deer in the dark within twenty yards without having them spook.

I’m not going to say I’ve never bumped one out, but I don’t think it has ever significantly impacted the day, especially if you go in an hour or so before dawn so the area has time to calm down again before shooting light.  I also try to move fairly quickly.  I think deer are less alarmed by something they can hear coming and monitor then they are by something trying to sneak up on them in the dark.

besides, bumping a deer out is much less detrimental to your hunting experience than a broken leg or a bear mauling.

On 12/11/2019 at 4:33 PM, Hatchet Jack said:

i've had deer just stand there and watch me walk past at 10-20 yds in the dark with a headlight on.  I kind of think they don't really see light like we do.  Ever spot lighted a deer and he never knew you were there until you made some noise?

Now that I think of it I was walking out after dark with my headlamp up north after watching an elk rut party (that was a a pretty cool experience) and as I was crossing an open meadow approaching the edge of the timber I caught two eyes shining back at me less than 50 yards out (headlamps pretty weak). At first I I thought it was coyotes because they were low to the ground (turns out it was due to the rising terrain). Then I saw I a couple more left and right of the first pair. Stomach flipped and I wish I had brought something to defend myself!  Kept walking and at 40 yards I figured out the eyes were too far apart to be coyotes, I yelled and then I could see the bouncing of Muleys as they took off.