More D

Strange things found while out hunting.....

3 hours ago, biglakejake said:

being so close to town it sounds like some kind of a psuedo-sweat lodge circle-but HUGE!

lee

I thought about that too, but it was on the side of a hill, and within 200 yds of a flat saddle that would have made a better spot for anything structure wise, it was also close enough to a shelf that and away from the base of the largest nearby hill that the location appeared random as there'd be a ton of better options in almost any direction for a hut or animal enclosure.

When I went back to 2009 (first available high res images of this area) on google earth you can see that the rocks there is a clear area. Walking around within it the dirt was all very loose and there were no small rocks inside the circle. It was easy to dig down and there was really no established vegetation. Just outside the circle was normal desert crust with rocks, gravel and dirt and scrub bushes and grass.

The images below are winter 2009 and summer 2018

image.png.a736e6d5a676dbd42361ce0690b2095a.png

image.png.27d2f1bf112c8c0e3897e0776dbb04fd.png

1 hour ago, More D said:

In northern Sonora they make those types of digs and line them with stone to make charcoal. Very round and not too deep.

very cool! I wonder if that's what it was.. I was kinda hoping to find some meteor fragments. Were they huts or just indentations in the ground that they smothered and cooked the wood. Any idea what they were called?

11 hours ago, More D said:

I found these out while hunting in 36A, the Sierritas.

I figure that I was at least 1/2 a mile from any roads. I  was climbing up to a glassing point so steep that I was crawling on all fours most of the time. 

They are metal and magnetic but appear copper colored. The first photo really gets me....they are wing shaped.

20191208_184101.jpg

20191208_183943.jpg

20191208_184022.jpg

Those look like impeller blades for sure I made a ton of them back in the day. For APU's Auxiliary power units

what looks odd is the grey part unless it was part of the  motor and got melted to the blades. The also look like a APU impeller blade as far as shape and size, however those were built in to the main hub they were not slip on like they are today.. we profiled ground and then drilled holes and counter bores in between each blade that was all one casting.

got pics of the bottom part? I am curious as to what they are now. forsure the best find ever.

Maybe a missile turbine of some sort? like a cruise or something similair?

below are some pics of the new style blades and the old garrett/ honeywell way (cut out view)

100611_APU_01.jpg

29901534001_4791568104001_4791491368001-vs.jpg

46 minutes ago, Delw said:

Those look like impeller blades for sure I made a ton of them back in the day. For APU's Auxiliary power units

what looks odd is the grey part unless it was part of the  motor and got melted to the blades. The also look like a APU impeller blade as far as shape and size, however those were built in to the main hub they were not slip on like they are today.. we profiled ground and then drilled holes and counter bores in between each blade that was all one casting.

got pics of the bottom part? I am curious as to what they are now. forsure the best find ever.

Maybe a missile turbine of some sort? like a cruise or something similair?

below are some pics of the new style blades and the old garrett/ honeywell way (cut out view)

100611_APU_01.jpg

29901534001_4791568104001_4791491368001-vs.jpg

Pictures of the ends and damage to the thin ends. The "leading" edges are free from damage.

20191209_182559.jpg

20191209_182544.jpg

20191209_182630.jpg

20191209_182624.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics

Those look like the blades were casted into the hub. and it was one solid piece. , thats wild the edge on only one side is messed up. I dont know if those are leading edges or tailing edges as you can see in the one picture they make air flow certain ways. somewhere I saw a picture of how the airflows thru them.

sure would be cool to find out what they were used in. I love that kinda stuff.

Really cool stuff. Thanks for the insight. 

Great stuff.

About 30 years ago I was north of the McDowell mountains , far and removed from anything. Way before Troon.

i was walking a trail and dipped over a knoll. Turned into a small depression /valley. After a little while I came across a round, burned circle in the dirt. Perfect circle. Maybe 2 or 2 and a half yards in diameter. I do some looking and I find two more, exactly like the first. I realize they’re in a perfect triangle, about 20 yards apart from each other. No road or real trail nearby. 

Went back 3 or 4 years later, realized I was in the area and revisited. They were there. Nothing had grown within these circles and they looked pretty much like I had last seen them.

Havent been back since. No idea what I came across.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

While hiking in unit 1 about 10 years ago I found a leg hold trap up in a tree with a mountain lion foot in it. Apparently the lion got caught and was able to run off and up the tree. Then chewed his own leg off to get rid of the trap.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 2

Wish I still had picks but in gmu 9 there are several scattered small pine branch shelters. They measure no more than 4 1/2'-5' in dia.. The circumference of the shelters were all rock lined with a small fire pit in the center. The entrances had a single flat rock and an offering was often left on the stone sash. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, Delw said:

Thanks for the pics

Those look like the blades were casted into the hub. and it was one solid piece. , thats wild the edge on only one side is messed up. I dont know if those are leading edges or tailing edges as you can see in the one picture they make air flow certain ways. somewhere I saw a picture of how the airflows thru them.

sure would be cool to find out what they were used in. I love that kinda stuff.

He said they are magnetic. Wouldn't they be made out of inco or hastoloy? Non mag with or way?

33 minutes ago, creed said:

Ran across this a few years ago on a muzzy hunt. Pretty cool!

027.JPG

I’ve been bored and built similar shelters before. My best are in 27 off the 24 and 25 road. I’ve heard people talk about my “teepee shelters” for a few years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AZkiller said:

He said they are magnetic. Wouldn't they be made out of inco or hastoloy? Non mag with or way?

I didnt see that part. as far as materials they use all types for blades, depending on the application.

mostly Nickle cobalt castings on the airplane stuff. I have no idea on the missle stuff or drone stuff.

If I recall it was haynes mars hastoloy X one of them was called ball bustruim ;) are what we used for garrett well they supplied the castings we just cut them and ground them. Dont know if its true but the boss told us one casting was around 5k cant remember if that was finished or not. was back in early 90s late 80's. The castings were pretty dang cool finish was incrediable and the size was unbelievable . After we got done to them they just hand finished them and balanced.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, Edge said:

Packing in for a sheep hunt in 40B, came across a downed AA Drone. There was miles of steel line spun off from tow missles and .50 cal casings everywhere.

Lots of interesting stuff in 40B. Both in the air and on the ground. LoL