lancetkenyon

Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, Stone Glacier, Exo, or Kifaru Pack

Does ANYONE have one of these packs that are built for a guy approximately 5-6" to 5'10" and 140-170# that I could come try on? 

Time for a new pack, and I want to see/touch/test these packs before I drop $500-800 on one.

I have 3 Eberlestocks, and have tried Badlands and a few others.  So don't suggest them.  

Because we all know, I am a better pack mule than hunter.  So time to upgrade for carrying everyone ELSE'S game animals.

• Like 2

Have a KUIU icon pro 7200, live in Tucson but work outta casa grande.  Buddy has a kirfaru I could probably grab if you want.

• Like 1

I’m the right hight but alittle thicker. You could try mine. I’m closer to 190-200. And it’s leaving for a late coues Hunt. But after that it’s available it’s a kifaru duplex frame with a reckoning bag 

• Like 2

I've gone through a lot of packs, Eberlestocks and Badlands mostly, some cheap ones and a really good but really heavy Lowe Alpine military pack.

Of the others you have mentioned, I can only speak to the Kuiu packs. I'm 6' around 190# so different build. 

I bought the Kuiu Pro setup with a 2200 pack (looks like they now have it in 2300) to replace my Badlands day pack and Eberlestock "just one" pack, based on the advice from a friend/guide who is really picky. This guy spend a LOT of days hunting and packs out other people's game a lot, so I listened. 

There were 3 things I really wanted:

• The ability to strap down really small and tight when there wasn't much to haul, but lots of room when needed for layering clothes, tripods, glass etc.
  • The ability to haul game built-in without being bulky
  • The ability to switch out the bag to a bigger one using the same harness system when I wanted to backpack in. 

I have to say - it's done all that extremely well. It feels really light when I'm not carrying much, and allows for a lot of adjustment as the load gets heavier. Even switching to 6000 bag with enough stuff to bivy for a few days, still feels light for the weight you are carrying. 

The thing I like the most about this pack system, especially when using it like a day pack, is when you get your meat all quartered/boned you pull the pack away from the frame and get that heavy meat right up against the frame then pull the pack up tight, holding everything securely. It just feels like you're carrying a lot less weight the way they have it designed.

This year I hauled out half an elk, and my son hauled out almost an entire mule deer (both boned). With the elk, I had more of the meat but my son had my old Eberlestock J1 or J5, but he still had to carry the rifle. When we got to the truck I had him put on my pack and he was floored by the difference. More weight but felt like less.

They're pricey, but if you want multiple packs with the same harness system, it averages out to not that bad. They go on sale a couple times a year for 30% off so doing two packs with one system is pretty reasonable considering how versatile they are and how well they work. Feel free to PM me or ask here if you have questions. 

• Like 2

Im 5'11, 155. I've got a mystery ranch beartooth and an exo 3500. I live in Coolidge, work in Tempe and am in queen creek quite a bit on the weekends. 

• Like 1

I have a 5200 and 1850 w/ the cargo attachment  if you wanted to give them a look over and try the sizing.

Have the pro and regular frames as well. Tall frame L waist

I have an MR it is MIA until after the upcoming Carlos Hunt.

if I had to pick one. I’d do MR for Durability.

the kuiu system is great as Coach mentioned above. I just spent 10 days with my 5200 for a rifle hunt. And will attach the 1850 for calling coyotes and January archery deer.

I have a brand new Kifaru duplex lite frame a Fulcrum bag, its the most comfortable pack I have ever had. I also like the bag its perfect if you only want one pack /bag.

Cant believe I tortured myself for so long using inferior frames.

Im 5/9

• Like 1

I have a black Kifaru Spike Camp that I'll be selling. Internal frame made for me at 5'8' and 140 lbs. At 2300 CI, its mostly a day pack but comes with the cargo shelf, the gunbearer attachment and some small misc. pouches. I'm thinking I might have a water bladder for it but haven't found it yet. 😄

It's an old pack age wise, but it's brand new use wise with all the original paper work. It's never been in the field; used indoors for photos only. I lost those pics to a randomware attack but this is one I found on the web. I'll be taking new ones of mine for listing here & on eBay.

I'm in Glendale at 67th and Camelback if you want to try/buy it. 

kifaru.thumb.jpg.5279ae1ede05b150053accdfd7c73141.jpg

In fact a fella I work with may be able let me borrow his 2. A light duplex with a muskeg and a duplex with a woodsman in it. He’s a closer to your size. 

• Like 1

Lance, I'm south of Tucson but you are welcome to come try my Kifaru, with a Reckoning bag out anytime you are around....

• Like 1

I will be contacting some of you guys to see if I can meet up to try on a couple packs this weekend.  Thanks guys.