sjvcon

Diesel Rebuild Shops

Not sure I buy that it is dumb.  Truck has about 40K on the Trans, Torque Converter and Flex Plate.  About 10K on the tires.  Shocks and both diffs were done in the last 2 years.  If I spent $18K on another truck I'd get one with 200K.  That is lower than the mileage I have, but I don't know how it has been maintained.  At least with this truck I know that.  Not saying I'd do it if it were my personal vehicle.  heck … I'd buy a 1 Ton Gas if it were mine, just because diesel likes to gel where cold and I am moving to the cold soon.  But if the choice is this truck with a reman or a half ton … I am going with this one all day long.

• Like 2

I don’t think it’s too dumb.  I love seeing the older vehicles still running.  You will need to be very careful going forward.  Any problems after this will nickel and dime you to death.  It’s likely it won’t be the power train, but you will probably start noticing door hinges wearing out, steering and suspension issues, miscellaneous interior annoyances and just overall slop in the fit and finish of everything.  Take notice of older vehicles door/hood/tailgate gaps.  It’s almost like a restoration would be the best thing.

my 96 has 390k,  when the time comes I'll rebuild and not think twice.  I know every issue plus the limited electronics make me very comfortable when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, runningbird said:

my 96 has 390k,  when the time comes I'll rebuild and not think twice.  I know every issue plus the limited electronics make me very comfortable when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Yup 99 with 200k and purrs like a kitten 

A 96 is a 12v. That is an all mechanical sweet motor. The 99 though has 24 valve motor with electronic fuel injection. It is a good motor, but has more things that can go wrong. I loved my 98 with the 24v. I wish I had not traded it in, but it just wouldn't fit 2 car seats so it had to be upgraded. My 2005 is awesome. It has 221k right now and runs great. One day I will convince my dad to sell me his 2006 that has 100k miles on it...

On 12/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, Saguaro said:

I don’t think it’s too dumb.  I love seeing the older vehicles still running.  You will need to be very careful going forward.  Any problems after this will nickel and dime you to death.  It’s likely it won’t be the power train, but you will probably start noticing door hinges wearing out, steering and suspension issues, miscellaneous interior annoyances and just overall slop in the fit and finish of everything.  Take notice of older vehicles door/hood/tailgate gaps.  It’s almost like a restoration would be the best thing.

I think this in spot on. There are lots of things that wear out over time.

19 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

A 96 is a 12v. That is an all mechanical sweet motor. The 99 though has 24 valve motor with electronic fuel injection. It is a good motor, but has more things that can go wrong. I loved my 98 with the 24v. I wish I had not traded it in, but it just wouldn't fit 2 car seats so it had to be upgraded. My 2005 is awesome. It has 221k right now and runs great. One day I will convince my dad to sell me his 2006 that has 100k miles on it...

I’m aware of that as I have built quite a few diesels. Was just stating older trucks aren’t bad if you take care of them. 

On 12/12/2019 at 7:33 PM, oz31p said:

You didn’t even name the parts that cause oil consumption.

Oil consumption can come from a turbo, bad seals on injectors could cause oil to leak by and into the cylinder. just my thoughts.

11 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Oil consumption can come from a turbo, bad seals on injectors could cause oil to leak by and into the cylinder. just my thoughts.

Yes, a turbo can leak cause oil consumption. Doesn’t not require a full rebuild. 

if the injector seal were leaking oil doesn’t enter the combustion chamber. Excessive fuel would. A typical failure on a 5.9. Also does not require a full rebuild. 

3 minutes ago, ThomC said:

Wrong website.  Probably should ask mechanics not internet wannabes.

There are plenty of diesel technicians here

• Like 3

Before I dive into the full rebuild my plan is to do a leakdown.  The mechanic I use for compqny vehicles recommended that, but said the symptoms (to him) seem to indicate I might have bad rings.  A leakdown would either support or refute that (or should).  My son thought it could be the turbo, which some on here have said as well, but a lot of smoke is coming out of the valve cover breather.  Not sure a turbo would do that???

The nuisance stuff isn't a huge deal...I've had it for almost 13 years...a lot of the little stuff has been done in the last 4 or so.