jdown

Carbon wrap barrels - thoughts

Without reference to action, stock etc... what are the thoughts on carbon wrapped barrels in general?  Too much weight reduction, harmonics, barrel life, etc.. Anything come to mind and any barrel manufactures to stay away from?

Thanks

I have several full build rifles ..... all but one has a proof carbon barrel. At one time or another I have owned a rifle that had one of the well known barrels on it. I can’t imagine ever building another rifle that didn’t have a proof barrel on it. They are just as accurate and I can run a full sendero contour and save weight over a steel barrel of equivalent size. ( even When fluted ).....I Can’t say if they cool faster or are stiffer but I can say when everything else is built right they shoot extremely well. 

• Like 1

Like any barrel.....It’s life expectancies will vary on several factors....Caliber, your shooting tendencies, how you care for the barrel. Ect....When cared for appropriately they are no better or worse then other top barrel manufacturers products 

I have 5 Proof Research carbon fiber barreled customs.  Planning #6 now.  I too, cannot see myself going back to a steel barrel for a hunting rifle at this point.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:31 PM, lancetkenyon said:

I have 5 Proof Research carbon fiber barreled customs.  Planning #6 now.  I too, cannot see myself going back to a steel barrel for a hunting rifle at this point.

I know you are finicky. Do they shoot as well or better than a steel barrel?

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

I know you are finicky. Do they shoot as well or better than a steel barrel?

Haven't you seen his posts of all the stuff he and Taylor have killed over the past few years?😉

• Thanks 1

I think they shoot every bit as well as the best steel barrels.  About the same weight as a #3 steel contour, but stiffer and have less dispersion across a full ladder test.  Once a node is found with either, it is a toss up.  

There are circumstances that might be better off with steel though.  Like a rifle that gets shot a lot in a cartridge known for low round count life.  Like a 28 Nosler for example.  With a barrel life of 500-800 rounds, I would opt for steel for replacement price alone.

I haven't shot or owned a proof barrel.   I'm sure that they are great.   With that said......for practical hunting applications I don't see how a proof barrel is going to do any better than a steel barrel.  For one or two shots I don't see why a steel barrel won't do just fine.   I shoot a #3 contour steel barrel and it will shoot such tight groups it is stupid.   Even if I shoot a 10 shot string out at 1000 yards it will hold a very tight group and doesn't wonder.   I'm sure the proof will shoot just as good.   The weight difference can go either way depending on contour and length.   The carbon barrels aren't always the lightest barrels.   If you are comparing the same diameter barrels then the carbon barrel will be lighter.   I'm also a fan of a shorter barrel.   My barrel is 22" and I get really good velocity and a shorter barrel will be stiffer too and easier to handle in the woods.   

If you think a carbon barrel looks super cool then have at it.   I don't think carbon barrels are a "must have" if you want a very accurate hunting rifle.  

I don't think there is a wrong answer.    If you are really trying to cut weight you will need to use a steel barrel.   They are going to be lighter.   If you are looking for a bigger contour that is stiffer then carbon is your answer.    Carbon also probably looks cooler too.   I guess you have to draw the line somewhere unless money is no object.  If there is a budget involved I think there is money that can be spent that will bring more accuracy to the table than a carbon barrel.  

I have a #3 Bartlein 5R 26" barrel on my semi custom Rem 700 and the same spec Proof barrel would be almost a 1/4 lb lighter.   That is pretty appealing to me.  The gun weighs 9-3/4 lbs with sling and it would be nice to lighten it up a bit.   When I shoot this barrel out I'll be looking at a Carbon Barrel for sure.

• Like 1

So typical a carbon barrel is steel contoured down to a feather size contour so the barrel is still steel or stainless steel then it’s wrapped in carbon fiber making it about a bull barrel heavy contour size the carbon cuts  lot of weight I have a CA barreled rifle and love it is a heavy price to pay to cut weight but my rifle weights 6.1 pounds but the barrel doesn’t heat up like a #1 contour barrel if you shoot few rounds so for me it’s an awesome shooter that’s light weight and doesn’t heat up 

• Like 2

I’ve worked on two proof barrels, wasn’t happy with either one. Load work didn’t go as well as I hoped it would. I’ll take a good steel barrel over a carbon barrel any day. Just my thoughts on it.