Markleo21377

Senior's unit 8 late rifle bull elk hunt

Hey all,

My pop's, Mark senior finally drew his first elk tag as a non resident from Michigan after 6 years of applying. We would be hunting unit 8 for bull elk. As I spend 90% of my time hunting elk in 6a and 22 I had some work to do. I started by looking at topos to find transition areas from fall to winter range and canyons those bulls like that time of year. Mid summer I finally got boots on and confirmed that my research was well directed. Tremendous amount of older scat, great winter brouse, and good thermal cover. Hit the woods one more time in October to cut the canyons apart to log glassing points and it was time to wait.                                                                                           As the hunt got closer we realized the weather was going to be brutal and I now felt even more confident in our location. To make things even better 2 of my best buddies were going to fly in from Michigan to help out. We arrived at camp early Thanksgiving day and set up in the torrential downpour. The evening was spent playing cribbage and yuker, card games for those of you not from the Midwest with the woodstoves keeping our tents toasty.                                                          Day 1......woke up to tents wanted to collapse with 7 inches of heavy, wet snow. After cleaning them off we waited for daylight to fully assess and realized with visibility at 100' that we would be better off waiting for a break to head out. That break came at 10 am. We loaded the buggies and the 7 of us headed to the spot I had picked out. After a long hike to our vantage point the snow socked back in and we took refuge under a big cedar and built a 🔥. At 1 the weather broke briefly and we got behind some glass. In 10 minutes we had 3 bulls located and pop's wanted the bigger of the 3. Having never elk hunted before we had decided the first decent 6 point was in trouble. Pop's made a great shot at 400 yards accross the canyon with my 6.5 PRC and the next two days I was extremely grateful for all the help as the packout and drive out was brutal.....another trip for the books!!!!19837.thumb.jpeg.f7bcbce292532a8a450b9de3393b2e00.jpegIMG_20191130_092754.thumb.jpg.10823bc8cda1afc890eb81596dda285f.jpg19873.thumb.jpeg.3df231bee19e5f383dbe60212cc77023.jpeg19878.jpeg.67635b60c50b6e8056e28797dded08e9.jpeg19918.thumb.jpeg.dc6ba349430c5cac702f5e75ed049f34.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Wow! 1

Way to get it done guys!  That is awesome to have friends and family participate in a hunt like this.  Excellent!  Thanks for the report and pics.

• Like 2

Great hunt! And great time with family and buds, especially from the mid-west. My brother comes out from Indiana when I get an elk tag. We have a blast together. Used to love playing yuker...not sure I can remember how anymore. You have a knack for story telling/writing. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Awesome hunt. Congrats to your dad! We were in that snow too....fun times! Lol

Way to get it done! 

• Like 2

Sounds like a truly fantastic hunt. I love playing yuker and cribbage, especially out in the woods with the buddies. Thanks for sharing the story, and glad you guys had success despite the terrible opening day weather!

• Like 1

If you had to climb down the canyon in the last picture you are a champion for sure. I have been to that exact spot when the weather was perfect and it kicked my butt!! Congratulatuons!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Explorer said:

If you had to climb down the canyon in the last picture you are a champion for sure. I have been to that exact spot when the weather was perfect and it kicked my butt!! Congratulatuons!

Yup, snow made it look beautiful and inviting 😂

56 minutes ago, bigbuckkiller said:

Congrats Mark!! Glad you guys were able to get it done. I dont remember you saying your dad drew a tag this year.

I probably forgot... between my antelope and elk hunt I was running on empty😂

7 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

Congrats to your dad.  Did I miss your lope thread?

I haven't posted that hunt yet. I'll try to get it up this weekend. Had a great archery hunt in 19a and shot a real nice one