Sign in to follow this  
bigj23

Opening Day Buck

When I found out I drew a late rifle mule deer tag I knew it was an opportunity to shoot a good buck but I decided I would rather watch my son give it a whirl, so I donated the tag to him.  We made a few scouting trips and were real familiar with the area from multiple pig hunts over the years.  Last week we saw multiple does but no rutting action or bucks in the area, but we knew they would come as they always do with time.  Seems like the hunt was here in no time and we were loading up for a quick day hunt with a plan to spend most of our time hunting after Christmas.  

We headed out opening morning and the full moon had the deer bedded early.  We found a couple does and three herds of pigs.  The rest of the day was slow until the sun started to set.  As the sun was setting we found two sets of does but no buck.  We made one more move to a place bucks had been in the past and we quickly found a rutting buck with two does.  His neck was swoll up and he was tearing up the trees.  Once I saw the front view and how wide he was I knew it was game time.  My son took one look at the buck and said “let’s shoot him.”  We closed the distance to 340 yards and he put him down.  

There was no shrinkage when we walked up to him and he was bigger than I thought he was going to be from the quick view I had.  I couldn’t be happier or prouder of my son for staying calm when it counts and willing to work hard to get it done.  My younger son was there as well without a complaint and he can’t wait for his turn.  

Big thanks as always to my buddy Brian for all he does for me and my boys.  We have had a lot of success together and can’t wait until the next one. 

Next year he said he wants a coues after shooting two nice mule deer.  See how the next chapter goes.  

3AC1B4EB-6CC5-4205-9379-99707BC5B4B1.jpeg

CDDC690E-3CC0-4161-A106-F0CC8C6CF7FB.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Great Buck! 3

Killer buck!  That must have hurt when he was growing!  I dig the unusual main beam after the injury. 

• Like 1

It is pretty cool.  He is palmated at the split on the left side with a hole in it. 

Thanks for all the comments!!