Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Wild Bunch. who are those guys?

Bill Williams Mountain Men.  My grandfather was one of them and used to ride from Williams to Phoenix every year by horse.  My dad did it one year as well about 25 years ago.  It was cool to see them all together but it faded over the years.  My grandfather owned J & L sporting goods back in the day in Williams but sold it to move to Kentucky to end his part.  

The pic is in front to the Sultana on the main strip in Williams.  Been in there many afternoons growing up while my grandpa and dad had a beer and still go there today when we go camp up there.  

Pretty cool pic.  

• Like 1

Bill Williams Mountain Men. For many years while my kids were growing up in the 1960-70s, we took them to the annual rodeo parade in Phx. the BWM would ride from Williams to Phx and participate in the parade. Always a big crowd favorite. 

In the late 70's a good friend of mine growing up father was BWM.  His full time job was a Lieutenant on the PHX PD.  He would always take his vacation time leading up to this ride from Williams to Phoenix so he could grow his beard out.  These were some of the craziest yet coolest guys you could ever be around.   These guys we so honorable and truthful that they made a HUGE impression on me at such and early age.  My HS friend told me in order to get in you had to be invited by a current member.  If the other members did not like and approve of the new guy being recommended then the guy that made the recommendation would be removed.  This made the selection process very limited and kept the ranks filled with guys like themselves with same values and sense of service.

9 hours ago, bigj23 said:

Bill Williams Mountain Men.  My grandfather was one of them and used to ride from Williams to Phoenix every year by horse.  My dad did it one year as well about 25 years ago.  It was cool to see them all together but it faded over the years.  My grandfather owned J & L sporting goods back in the day in Williams but sold it to move to Kentucky to end his part.  

The pic is in front to the Sultana on the main strip in Williams.  Been in there many afternoons growing up while my grandpa and dad had a beer and still go there today when we go camp up there.  

Pretty cool pic.  

I did the Williams to Phoenix ride about 10 years ago with the BWM.

Learned packing from a couple of their members.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 3