Sign in to follow this  
JLW

azgfd payson meeting dec 4th as told by "payson round up"

2 hours ago, 1uglydude said:

Sounds to me like three or four of the most vocal guys in the room are also the ones who make their living guiding elk in the area.  The list of names in the article doesn't sound like a roll call of average hunters. 

If 22 is managed for trophy bulls, then it means guys won't get drawn very often.  The "hunters" in that meeting don't give a dang about that because what they want is to be able to get their high-dollar clients on trophy bulls in the areas they know best (i.e. close to home).   We already have units that are managed for trophy bulls, and guys are free to apply 20+ years to draw those tags if they so choose.   There is nothing wrong with managing some of the units for opportunity for the sportsmen who are willing to shoot smaller bulls, but still get drawn every 3-4 years.   Personally, I think these guides are being pretty selfish. 

Not only that, you have to think that the high number of late season bull tags also give a shot in the arm to the Payson economy each Nov/Dec.  In what would otherwise be a slow season, the community gets an influx of several thousand visitors who would have no reason to go up there and spend money without the hunts.  Anyways...my two cents.

Well stated.  

2 hours ago, 1uglydude said:

Sounds to me like three or four of the most vocal guys in the room are also the ones who make their living guiding elk in the area.  The list of names in the article doesn't sound like a roll call of average hunters. 

If 22 is managed for trophy bulls, then it means guys won't get drawn very often.  The "hunters" in that meeting don't give a dang about that because what they want is to be able to get their high-dollar clients on trophy bulls in the areas they know best (i.e. close to home).   We already have units that are managed for trophy bulls, and guys are free to apply 20+ years to draw those tags if they so choose.   There is nothing wrong with managing some of the units for opportunity for the sportsmen who are willing to shoot smaller bulls, but still get drawn every 3-4 years.   Personally, I think these guides are being pretty selfish. 

Not only that, you have to think that the high number of late season bull tags also give a shot in the arm to the Payson economy each Nov/Dec.  In what would otherwise be a slow season, the community gets an influx of several thousand visitors who would have no reason to go up there and spend money without the hunts.  Anyways...my two cents.

I was there and was very vocal and not a guide, if you lived and hunt here you would see what tripling the late bull tags for the last 15 years have done to our bull population.  It said for kids also. You shouldn't struggle to find a 300 bull in any decent unit in AZ!

There is some common sense solutions slaughtering bulls is not the answer.

Shoot more cows, antler pt restriction for you opportunity hunters, and all big game should be managed not just bear and lions that is being managed as of late.