apache12

Yea it’s a 2x2...

3 hours ago, apache12 said:

deer activity was pre rut.  these were the only two bucks that we saw together but the one we shot did run off the other deer one day when some does came in.  we saw one other big buck that with does but other than that all other bucks where by themselves and it didn't  seem like they were getting ready.  the does were all very active and up all day.  spikes were not with does rather out on their own.  we had a serious full moon so that may have changed patterns some.  necks didn't seem swelled up, and no classic nose down movements.  not sparing.    I'm not an expert and have only hunted Mule rut, but it seemed like it was still a bit of time from the rut 

Good deal, thanks. I'm heading out tomorrow for a few days. It will be interesting to see how much things have changed since your hunt.

At SW Taxidermy today (great shop) and we were guessing the score most said 80 or so maybe high 70. They taped it and we went, no tape again. And again.  96 7/8 wow would not have guessed that.   Thanks for the laughs today and the name of Forkasaures.  

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Great Buck congrats

That is a great buck!  But unless they count Coues differently than other whitetails it's not a forky (IMO forkys don't have brow tines).  My buddy from WY who is a whitetail fanatic would call it a 3x3.  From what I know you count whitetail brow tines but not mule deer. But as 3x3 that buck is still huge!

34 minutes ago, Speedy said:

That is a great buck!  But unless they count Coues differently than other whitetails it's not a forky (IMO forkys don't have brow tines).  My buddy from WY who is a whitetail fanatic would call it a 3x3.  From what I know you count whitetail brow tines but not mule deer. But as 3x3 that buck is still huge!

This what we call out west a forky.

• Like 3

That’s a great buck......and a great score.   Love the big eye guards! Those of us in Arizona still call it a 2x2 though......nothing wrong with a BIG 2 !!!

• Like 1

Very nice 2x2, I would have dumped him too. Cool you could be with your two boys again on a hunt.