IA Born

Over/Under Shotgun

I'm getting more and more serious about getting a 12g over/under shotgun, even though I love my original Remington 1100 12g.  The catch is that I'll be on a budget when I finally decide to do this.  I'm looking at the $500-$700 range.  Any suggestions?  

I have a friend with a Stoeger Condor that he loves.  I just saw the Stoeger combo that has both 12g and 20g barrels and that intrigues me.  I've heard good things recently about the Legacy Pointers and I've had good experiences with a Tri-Star semiauto.  Any thoughts on Stoeger, Legacy, and Tri-Star for a budget-friendly, yet solid quality O/U shotgun?  Anything else I should consider in that price point?

My Dad picked up half a dozen Miroku Charles Daly's on close out in the mid 70s. They are awesome shotguns and my old man shot skeet and did a bunch of dove shooting with his and it stayed tight over all that shooting. If you could find one used on a gun auction sight you will be very pleased. 

That savage/stevens 555 (made in Turkey) is actually a pretty sharp O/U.  I've had the chance to shoot a couple and it points and seems to hold up really well. 

• Like 1

I would highly recommend the Stevens 555 over any other in that price range!

• Like 1

I plan on trying them for fit before I buy one, but brand matters, too.  If there are brands out there that are known to fall apart or be of crappy quality, I want to know that, too.

I hadn't really thought of CZ or Stevens, so that is great info!  Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

My Dad picked up half a dozen Miroku Charles Daly's on close out in the mid 70s. They are awesome shotguns and my old man shot skeet and did a bunch of dove shooting with his and it stayed tight over all that shooting. If you could find one used on a gun auction sight you will be very pleased. 

One of the best shotguns ever made (Mirukos sp) I have a few. Cabelas usually has one or 2 in there gun library. (keep an eye on the fixed choke size they are its stamped on the barrel) They also have 3" models as well as trap, skeet, mod improved full etc etc

Stogers are junk, stevens ie the older ones are bottom line acceptable.  a decent O/U shotgun is going to run about 700-1200 used like ruger red labels citoris etc etc.  Ive seen the older mirukos around 550-750 range at cabelas. the newer charles daily brand is absolute garbage. make sure you looking at MIRUKOS when someone says charles dailey

1 hour ago, IA Born said:

I plan on trying them for fit before I buy one, but brand matters, too.  If there are brands out there that are known to fall apart or be of crappy quality, I want to know that, too.

I hadn't really thought of CZ or Stevens, so that is great info!  Thanks!

I heard of problems with Brownings that were fixed right away. Had a friend that had a Ruger Red Label that he said was nothing but junk. Have another friend that loaned his 300.00 Gunbroker o/u to his SIL to shoot sporting clays with and he shot his highest score. You can fudge a little with fit of a rifle but not a shotgun.

Being a lefty, I have been considering a CZ Drake Southpaw "cast on" O/U in a 20 gauge.  I've got an old Winchester 101 that I inherited from my brother.  Had Brett Hall bend the stock to  "cast on".  What a difference.  No question, fit is everything for shotgunning.

Del have you shot the Stevens 555 and don't like something or are you just being a Del and knowing everything about everything even though you haven't ever actually shot one?  Just curious if this is a del moment or you actually know?  I'm guessing you and Seeker probably should just give us all a manual on everything and make our pathetic lives a little easier.  

10 minutes ago, jdown said:

Del have you shot the Stevens 555 and don't like something or are you just being a Del and knowing everything about everything even though you haven't ever actually shot one?  Just curious if this is a del moment or you actually know?  I'm guessing you and Seeker probably should just give us all a manual on everything and make our pathetic lives a little easier.  

Dont know if it was a 555 or another O/U stevens( it was an older like 60's model. I dont like the action it felt choppy. have a older stevens S X S that I reworked the action and its pretty smooth.

as far as what I mean buy junk is the clunk in the break open action and the machine finish on the parts. I can give 2 shits about how they shoot its a shotgun

As far as shot guns I been shooting them since I was 8 both compatition and hunting and have about 2 dozen O/Us from mirokus 101s citoris berratta etc etc. as far as shot, a ton of them out there including but not limited to purdys, lc smiths remington trap guns etc etc. all my O/U's are 60's to early 70's only newer one I have is a berretta.

I'm sure your compatition guns are great.  My opinion only, but don't say stuff is junk if you don't really know.   In that price range that the gentleman spoke of, that is a great gun.  Is it the best machined o/u out there, obviously not.  For 500-700, it is about the best bang for the buck that I know of hence my reply.  You on other hand, shot down the idea without knowing.. because you Del'd it!