IA Born

Over/Under Shotgun

I have a few CZ rifles and love them. I have been looking at CZ shotguns now with the success I have had with the rifles. 

A used Browning, Beretta, SKB, etc is something to look for. Dont be afraid of 20ga. Shooting 20ga doesn't make you less of a man. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jdown said:

I'm sure your compatition guns are great.  My opinion only, but don't say stuff is junk if you don't really know.   In that price range that the gentleman spoke of, that is a great gun.  Is it the best machined o/u out there, obviously not.  For 500-700, it is about the best bang for the buck that I know of hence my reply.  You on other hand, shot down the idea without knowing.. because you Del'd it!

Actually My main competition/favorite gun is a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge SKEET.

I just looked up the savage 555 its a alum receiver they look nice probably shoot great but its Aluminum lets see how that last in 10-20 years from now. best bang for the buck is what ever he wants to spend his money on, a bunch of people gave him a list of options.

The last thing I want is for this to turn into a pissing match of who is more knowledgeable.  Please.

I appreciate all of the insight and the reminder about fit foremost.  I grew up upland bird hunting before ever shooting rifles, so I get fit and appreciate that being reiterated.  I was looking for a list of quality guns in my budget range that aren't going to be at the gunsmith every other week or have to be sent back regularly for warranty repairs.  I have a solid list of shotguns to check out and see how they fit when the time comes.

And I'm not at all opposed to a 20g.  I started with one of those and still have it (daughter uses it now).  I love 20s.  Its just that all of my regularly used shotguns are 12g, so I thought I'd keep it consistent with the boxes of shells I have.  Thanks everyone!

If you’re getting into the double barrel game for style I’d save up a little longer and look for a good used 101, citori or beretta.  You can pick them up for $800-1000.  The fit and finish will be better then the Turkish guns.  If you’re doing it for reliability then I’d stick with an auto.  I’ve been around far more guys with over and under issues then with auto issues.   Three shots can come in handy a lot of the time too!!  If you just want an excuse to buy a new toy then I’d go handle all the current Turkish guns (CZ, Stevens, Stoeger etc) and see which one fits and looks best.   Make sure you can get it in 28” barrel minimum and better yet 30”.  Most people don’t realize they aren’t comparing apples to apples with doubles.  The receiver on most shotguns is 6+” long so a 26” double barrel has less sighting plane then a tactical riot pump or auto.  Only double barrel I have has 32” barrels and I think they’re too short.  That being said I shoot a beretta auto most of the time with a 30” barrel custom ordered on it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

If you’re getting into the double barrel game for style I’d save up a little longer and look for a good used 101, citori or beretta.  You can pick them up for $800-1000.  The fit and finish will be better then the Turkish guns.  If you’re doing it for reliability then I’d stick with an auto.  I’ve been around far more guys with over and under issues then with auto issues.   Three shots can come in handy a lot of the time too!!  If you just want an excuse to buy a new toy then I’d go handle all the current Turkish guns (CZ, Stevens, Stoeger etc) and see which one fits and looks best.   Make sure you can get it in 28” barrel minimum and better yet 30”.  Most people don’t realize they aren’t comparing apples to apples with doubles.  The receiver on most shotguns is 6+” long so a 26” double barrel has less sighting plane then a tactical riot pump or auto.  Only double barrel I have has 32” barrels and I think they’re too short.  That being said I shoot a beretta auto most of the time with a 30” barrel custom ordered on it.  

I don't even know where to begin on this one!  Absolutely everything you said rings true.  I like the stylish concept of hunting upland birds with a double barrel, so you're right about holding out for style.  My 1100 has always been ultra-reliable and my most trusted shotgun, though, and I love hunting with it.  Three shots?  When I quail hunt, I'm thankful to have all five shots!  You should have seen me when I started pheasant hunting as a kid in Iowa! 🤣  It is, in part, an excuse to buy a new type of toy, which is why I was looking at the budget-friendly models.  It would definitely be a 28" barrel, minimum, though.

Holy crap.  I just realized you're sounding like my older brother, full of sage advice, that has known me my whole life, that I never knew I had until now.  Except I'm pretty sure I'm older.  Thanks!  For reals, thanks!!

Used.

CZ Redhead Deluxe is a really nice "cheap" O/U.  I have one in 20ga.

I got a used Win 101 that is amazing.  Paid $800

• Like 1