Gringo

Big Eyes/ Twin Spotters

I'm considering getting a pair of Kowa 664's and the 30X wide eyepieces to bracket together for a pair of Big eyes.  Anyone use this setup?  Likes/Dislikes?

Thanks for the input!

Do it they are awesome. I made my own bracket and have used them for about a year. I love them. The 30x Kowa eyepiece is amazing. I have glassed side by side with highlanders and while the highlanders have better color, the twin 66s hang with them surprisingly well and I can actually pack them with me.   I’m going to be making a couple more brackets for some buddies if you have trouble finding one let me know. 

• Like 1

I've got the doctor's 30x80x500 . Used them sheep hunting and holly Molly , get you some..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gringo said:

I'm considering getting a pair of Kowa 664's and the 30X wide eyepieces to bracket together for a pair of Big eyes.  Anyone use this setup?  Likes/Dislikes?

Thanks for the input!

There's a pair for sale right now in the classifieds.  I actually looked through hatchet jacks and they are pretty awesome. Was building my own pair as well but I needed to fund some jobs and sold one of my scopes.  

• Like 1

I have a set had them for probably 5 to 7 years now i wouldn't feel the same hunting without them. Just as clear as swaros but double the power and I have swaros too

• Like 1

Have you looked through the BTX line?   They are pretty good.    Not sure if they are better or worse because I have never compared them side by side but the BTX are really nice to have.  

3 hours ago, recurveman said:

Have you looked through the BTX line?   They are pretty good.    Not sure if they are better or worse because I have never compared them side by side but the BTX are really nice to have.  

But twice the cost (or more)

On 12/22/2019 at 12:24 PM, Gringo said:

Awesome.  Thanks Guys.  I love the Kowa Prominar spotters.  I have the 883 and 553.   I'm going to do it

You gonna try to put two 553's together? That would be slick. Bad field of view but man they would be light. I love my 554. 

I want to see this done with the 554.  Probably make me sell my swaro... 

i wish the 554 had an interchangeable eyepiece.  What makes the twin 664s so good is the wide angle 30x eyepiece view.  The apparent field of view is so big i almost feel a little tunnel vision when i switch back to glassing with my ELs.  I think two 884s with that 25-60 wide angle eyepiece would be sweet, somebody with more money than me should try it and report back.

What about the little Vortex Razor?  only 33x50 abut the same weight as the a pair of swaro 15's and you could probably build them for less than $1,500 (used).

FOV would probably be pretty tight.  I have a Swaro HD 80 but it is mostly used for looking at antlers after finding critters with my EL's.  The smaller Big Eyes seem like they would be very usable from the truck or scouting, maybe even shorter hikes. 

On 12/24/2019 at 10:59 AM, Hatchet Jack said:

i wish the 554 had an interchangeable eyepiece.  What makes the twin 664s so good is the wide angle 30x eyepiece view.  The apparent field of view is so big i almost feel a little tunnel vision when i switch back to glassing with my ELs.  I think two 884s with that 25-60 wide angle eyepiece would be sweet, somebody with more money than me should try it and report back.

Yea, my understanding with the twin spotters is that the wide angle eye piece is the critical part.   I already have 15 Swaros and I use them ALL the time.   I just want the big eyes, for some extended scouting and hunting range, to look at Big country and narrow down the area I need to hunt.  The 664's with the 30X eyepieces seem like the ticket.   I considered the BTX also, but I like the straight view for glassing like that, and the cost is much more.   We shall see.....

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 1:56 PM, rcdinaz said:

What about the little Vortex Razor?  only 33x50 abut the same weight as the a pair of swaro 15's and you could probably build them for less than $1,500 (used).

FOV would probably be pretty tight.  I have a Swaro HD 80 but it is mostly used for looking at antlers after finding critters with my EL's.  The smaller Big Eyes seem like they would be very usable from the truck or scouting, maybe even shorter hikes. 

The little vortex razor isn't worth it.   Had one and honestly it was good out to about 800-1000 yards on a cloudy day.    When you got up to 33X it was very, very grainy.   Sold it and wouldn't recommend that glass to anyone.  

On 12/23/2019 at 4:51 PM, CatfishKev said:

But twice the cost (or more)

What is the cost of the double spotters?    Weight?   I think I paid $4200 for my BTX 65's and they are pretty light.   I would think a pair of spotters and bracket (ect) would cost a good chunk of change.