Sign in to follow this  
AZBIG10

Bucket List Hunts

Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag in AZ, Alaska/Yukon/BC Moose in the Backcountry, Caribou wherever, Kodiak Sitka Deer, African Plains Game.  Those are all realistic, achievable goals.  Then theres the dream stuff that probably won't happen like Stone Sheep, Dall Sheep, Mountain Goat, Mountain Caribou.  Dream came true on Desert Bighorn Sheep in 2010.

AZ Strip Muley

Rocky Sheep

Red Stag

Early Elk - 17pts

Any sheep, anywhere!  Have shot my AZ desert already

2 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I will say this about bucket list hunts. Don’t sit on points or wait for “premium” tags. Just go do it.

In WY 8 pts will draw you some pretty dang awesome antelope hunts. So research up, consider the minimal cost of a gohunt insider membership and an OnX subscription. Find a unit with lots of public land and go do it. The great thing about antelope is in a few years you can do it all over again. It doesn’t take long to draw decent tags. The cost is really the gas to drive there and the expenses of a camp. A few hundred for a tag and that’s about it.

The bigger constraint for me is time. I get one or two chances to take a full week off during the year and that’s it. So like this year I invested 11 days on a Shiras moose hunt in ID. That was pretty much all my hunting time for the year. So I would suggest putting one on the calendar every year and making it happen. If you don’t plan in advance and force yourself to go it won’t ever happen.

I had a lot of fun on my DIY Wyoming antelope hunt several years ago in a premium unit.  I am sitting on 9 points now and have been looking at units and draw odds to possibly cash in.  We'll see how hard this winter is.   Time off, as you said, is a limiting factor and has caused me to just buy points as I have had other hunts in AZ.

AZBIG10, your wife has a good idea about WY antelope, flyfishing and hot tubs that could be fun and done several times through the years.

• Like 2