Im new to deer hunting and id have to say so far im finding doe and a lot of poo just no bucks. I was hopping someone would point me in the right direction or kust give me some pointers. Or is there a better unit to hunt otc tags 

Bucks are always hiding, does are not, because does only get shot by a camera. By now, these deer have been through many months of hunting pressure (whether deer hunting or not).

You have a much better chance of finding a buck with his guard down during the August OTC hunt.

Lance is right that the rut should be kicking in soon, and they'll be chasing the does soon and having their mind focused on one thing only...

• Thanks 1

24b is a fine unit.  If it’s close to home or otherwise convenient, I’d stick with it.  I think people, especially newbies, often do themselves more harm than good by trying to learn a huge area or lots of units when it’s more profitable for a bow hunter to know every square inch of a couple ridges.  
Are you looking for a certain caliber of buck?  If you have a tape measure goal, spot and stalk is probably the game you’ll want to play.  If your goal is just to wrap an archery tag around any legal deer, your odds will be exponentially higher if you setup an ambush site in a pinch point or some place they like to rut.  These spots really aren’t that hard to find.  Look for benches on hill sides, and open saddles on ridge tops, especially if there’s thick cover close by.  
As others have said, if you’re into does it’s just a matter of time before the boys show up to the party.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, varnco said:

Bucks are always hiding, does are not, because does only get shot by a camera. By now, these deer have been through many months of hunting pressure (whether deer hunting or not).

You have a much better chance of finding a buck with his guard down during the August OTC hunt.

Lance is right that the rut should be kicking in soon, and they'll be chasing the does soon and having their mind focused on one thing only...

Thank you yeah I'vebeen noticing a few bucks starting to show up in the area but i bumped a 4x3 and he ran and i havent seen him since. I also found a dead 2x2. I was told the rut starts around January. This is my first time hunting here in az and im doing bow lol its gonna be hard i know this but im used to hunting in areas like Texas and Louisiana. 

5 hours ago, mattys281 said:

24b is a fine unit.  If it’s close to home or otherwise convenient, I’d stick with it.  I think people, especially newbies, often do themselves more harm than good by trying to learn a huge area or lots of units when it’s more profitable for a bow hunter to know every square inch of a couple ridges.  
Are you looking for a certain caliber of buck?  If you have a tape measure goal, spot and stalk is probably the game you’ll want to play.  If your goal is just to wrap an archery tag around any legal deer, your odds will be exponentially higher if you setup an ambush site in a pinch point or some place they like to rut.  These spots really aren’t that hard to find.  Look for benches on hill sides, and open saddles on ridge tops, especially if there’s thick cover close by.  
As others have said, if you’re into does it’s just a matter of time before the boys show up to the party.  

Yes im just trying to wrap a tag its my first hunt here in az. Iv been puttinga lot of time into this area like your saying to do. Iv got a few spots i glass for hours. I tend to fimd doe as i walk ridges and either see them in the distance or walk over a ridge on them. Witch leads me to a new question how do you walk quiet? I walk slow and watch my step but i know im making a lot of noise. 

56 minutes ago, Cedr1k said:

how do you walk quiet?

this is a picture of walking quiet-

walkingquiet.jpg.a88b71ff84c1affa0579dde3b43f2888.jpg

not many secrets in 24B-but an idea for you for january-above bagley flat campground on saguaro lake.  you will need a boat to get there.  might be great this winter due to all the displacement caused by the fire.  i have seen coues bucks at Usery Park during the rut so elevation is not key.

lee

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cedr1k said:

Yes im just trying to wrap a tag its my first hunt here in az. Iv been puttinga lot of time into this area like your saying to do. Iv got a few spots i glass for hours. I tend to fimd doe as i walk ridges and either see them in the distance or walk over a ridge on them. Witch leads me to a new question how do you walk quiet? I walk slow and watch my step but i know im making a lot of noise. 

There's a good chance of rain for the next several days. That's the time to be out there "walking quiet". Also can help to cut fresh tracks/activity.

If you can get out and hunt for the first few hours when there is still some dew on the ground before it dries out it will be quieter. Some boots have harder soles than others and will be more noisy. 

Be aware of the wind direction. I like to use a cover scent like Hunter Specialities  Wafers in Fresh Earth. Since you are new to hunting the desert take a pocket sized mens comb afield. It will be the easiest way to remove any cholla cactus pods that you get on you. Put the comb between the pod and you then pop it off. I also carry a metal tweezer in a small first aid kit to pull out the really fine stickers that surround the bigger spines on Prickly Pear Cactus, AKA Beaver Tail.

DO you have a 4WD vehicle?

• Thanks 1

Your best bet is to go shoot a swamp buck in LA and tell people it's a coues.  Since you aren't gunna do that just get as much time in as you can.  Coues tend to be extremely pockety so if you aren't seeing bucks where you are looking try to find another pocket that may have better numbers.  like a few people have said, keep your head up, with the rut coming the bucks are gunna get a little more stupid.  If you are prepared to work for it get as far off road as you can.  I have hunted some real easy deer in areas where I had to spend a half day hiking before I set camp.  If you want to get real quiet look into a pair of vibram toe shoes.  They are as quiet as it gets and you can balance great in them when you have to get really sneaky.  If you are going to move around for them pick a likely spot and creep through so slowly you may as well be still hunting I have gotten in range of several deer moving at a several hours per mile pace. 

I cant emphasize enough though, as long as you are out there as often as you can be things will line up eventually.

• Like 1

Some of what Boudreaux speaks is helpful. Of course not all of LA has swamp. Lots of marsh and just plain ole dry ground.

I missed a nice buck in 24b today during the hard rain. I thought the shot was perfect but it just gave him a haircut.

Almost a perfect Christmas present.

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

22 hours ago, PRDATR said:

If you can get out and hunt for the first few hours when there is still some dew on the ground before it dries out it will be quieter. Some boots have harder soles than others and will be more noisy. 

Be aware of the wind direction. I like to use a cover scent like Hunter Specialities  Wafers in Fresh Earth. Since you are new to hunting the desert take a pocket sized mens comb afield. It will be the easiest way to remove any cholla cactus pods that you get on you. Put the comb between the pod and you then pop it off. I also carry a metal tweezer in a small first aid kit to pull out the really fine stickers that surround the bigger spines on Prickly Pear Cactus, AKA Beaver Tail.

DO you have a 4WD vehicle?

Yes i do i have a trooper  needs a little tlc but its in progress but driveable. Lol iv been using rocks to pull them dang things off me. And when i go out i try to be there by 5 am and ill walk to my first glassing spot till theres enough light. To move around. I got some dirt sent cover. Mostly use it on my lower half well a heavier spray. 

• Like 1