elecshoc

Favorite Christmas Gift Growing Up.....

So it's been a fun last couple of years for my family and I.  We've welcomed our first grand child which has been a blast so far. 

So its got me thinking about past Christmases when I was a kid and all the gifts over the years.  That got me thinking of the one gift that I remember having an impact on me then and I'm sure still does today.

So for me it was my daisy lever action pump pellet/bb gun.  I was 9 and it was the first kinda of weapon that had velocity.  Up till then it was all bows and arrows really.  That daisy went all over with me and I wore that thing out to where I had to shoot within a sec or two before the seals let the air out.  That was fun and quite the learning curve.  

So my question to you all, was there such a gift as a kid that had an impact on you?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, elecshoc said:

So it's been a fun last couple of years for my family and I.  We've welcomed our first grand child which has been a blast so far. 

So its got me thinking about past Christmases when I was a kid and all the gifts over the years.  That got me thinking of the one gift that I remember having an impact on me then and I'm sure still does today.

So for me it was my daisy lever action pump pellet/bb gun.  I was 9 and it was the first kinda of weapon that had velocity.  Up till then it was all bows and arrows really.  That daisy went all over with me and I wore that thing out to where I had to shoot within a sec or two before the seals let the air out.  That was fun and quite the learning curve.  

So my question to you all, was there such a gift as a kid that had an impact on you?

My daisy had an impact on me when I twisted off the muzzle and shot my index finger. Could have shot my eye out.

Anything G.I. Joe!!!   The 'old school' version in the 70s with the fuzzy head of hair and sometimes a pull-string to say cool stuff.  Used to love playing with those things all over the desert surrounding the house!

S.

:)

Ours started back in the late 60s

Dad would buy me a gun for  christmas every year, at 25 I started returning the tradition. went like that till just before he Passed away.

The other one is My MIL she gives gifts that are awsum. I always bitched about stuff not being made in the USA. so around 2000 she started getting me stuff that had a BIG MADE IN THE USA engraving.

just off the wall stuff Like a 1950s electrical socket. one year is was a old light switch, old ashtray for the 60's stuff like that. I love them the most and always remember them cause they make me laugh

• Like 1

When I was a kid any type of a toy gun. I had a Johnny 7 OMA. I remember a set of six guns that had a Wagon Train theme to them, like the old TV show. I had a GI Joe probably about the first year they came out.

For me it was Tonka trucks. You couldn't destroy them. Lots of sharp edges and pinch points. My uncle saved them all and gave them back to me when I got married.

• Like 2

I remember the first year after my folks split up my Mom hit it out of the park!  I got a RC Car, a Tamiya Hornet.  Thought I wanted a Grasshopper until a better one was under the tree.  My brother got a drum set.  Playing drums is still a huge part of his life.  She sure did sacrifice a lot for my brother and I.  Will never forget it either.

• Like 2

Nothing remarkable for Christmas that I can remember.  I would usually get clothes and toys that I forgot about when I got bored with them.  My dad would surprise me with a gun or a knife on regular calendar days and to me that made them more meaningful.  They weren’t for any special occasion.  I have plenty of those stories.

a cool Christmas we had was when I was about 5 years old and started hearing that Santa Claus was really your parents.  We would usually go to Farmington, NM to see my moms parents for Christmas and one time we left a few days before and me and my sisters remember leaving the house and nothing was under the tree.  When we got back and walked inside, Santa had been there.  We were shocked. Mom and Dad were with us the whole time and all of our friends were gone, so it had to be Santa.  Who else could have done it?  We definitely had that Christmas joy.    Years later, my mom told us that she and Dad got everything ready in their room and when we all loaded up in the car, my dad told her to run inside and get something he had forgot and it was during that 2 minutes she spread everything out.  

Crossman 22 cal pellet gun. I loved that thing. I think I was around 10 or 11. 

For me it was three different guns. First was a Mattel replica of a Colt 1860 cap pistol that had 2 pc. removable bullets to put a cap in. I filed down the front sight so I could quick draw it. Then came a Daisy lever bb gun. Last was a replica Colt 45 old army CO2 22 pellet pistol by Crossman. Killed a few birds on our farm with the last two. I still have all 3!

When I was 8, my Christmas present was an Evil Knievel bicycle.  It had a faux gas tank, motorcycle style handlebars. and knobby motorcycle style dirt tires.  I'd ride the heck out of that bike in the rain forest that surrounded the navy base in the middle of Oahu.

Later, after my Pa retired from the navy and we moved to the ranch outside of Butte, I found myself among the people who grew up with Evil Knievel  and they were not all fans.  In the Mountains outside of Butte I left my bicycles in pieces because at that point I was more into fishing the creek or chasing elk and deer through the hills. 

My guns on the ranch were family guns, though I was the one that actually used them.  At that time, my model 60 Marlin and I led the crusade against those evil gophers.

• Like 1