elecshoc

Favorite Christmas Gift Growing Up.....

A red ryder BB gun in about 1990... i still remember how excited i was but disappointed that it didn’t have a compass in the stock like in the movie....

5 hours ago, Avion said:

For me it was Tonka trucks. You couldn't destroy them. Lots of sharp edges and pinch points. My uncle saved them all and gave them back to me when I got married.

Not completely true they don't live forever if you stretch the bed out a bit where you can sit in it and ride it down the biggest hill you can find.

• Like 1

I got a .22 from my grandparents when I was 12. A racer from my dad a few years later and a blanket from a girlfriend. Still have all of them.

1 hour ago, dse said:

Not completely true they don't live forever if you stretch the bed out a bit where you can sit in it and ride it down the biggest hill you can find.

Yup!!!    Rode down many a hill on a good ol’ Tonka truck over the years!!   Good stuff!!!

I can remember my first BB gun.  I wanted one so bad and my dad made me wait until the very last present to open it.  I had given up hope and was pretty much devastated.  Lots of tweety birds died from it.  But even better was when I got a pistol BB gun a couple years later. It had a holster and everything.  I practiced my quick draws all the time.  I remember shooting my little brother in the forehead with it.

8 hours ago, Heat said:

I remember the first year after my folks split up my Mom hit it out of the park!  I got a RC Car, a Tamiya Hornet.  Thought I wanted a Grasshopper until a better one was under the tree.  My brother got a drum set.  Playing drums is still a huge part of his life.  She sure did sacrifice a lot for my brother and I.  Will never forget it either.

I remember the Tamiya cars...I started wanting the Grasshopper or Hornet and ended up with the Wild One for Christmas one year. Still have it out in the garage...I also got a drum set one year and still play a little. 

• Like 1

My dad got me a Winchester model 70 classic sporter in 7mm STW for Christmas when I was 12.  I was infatuated with the caliber after reading Layne Simpsons articles about it in shooting times over and over.  I got to work handloading for it right off the bat.  That was back in the pre laser rangefinder days.  I loaded 120gr ballistic tips (they had just come out) at 3900fps.  Could hold right on a deer out to 425 and right on their back line if you thought they were a little further.  I’ve killed atleast a hundred deer with it, easterns, muleys and coues.  A dozen elk or so.  Moose.  Oryx.  Antelope. Muskox and hopefully in a week I’ll kill a free range bison with it in WY.  I had it rebarreled once as I washed the old one out fairly quickly but kept the same blued sporter profile and walnut stock.  It’s a beautiful gun and short of backcountry type hunts where I’ll take my Proof .28 nosler, it’s my go to rifle to this day.  

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

35 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

model 70 classic sporter in 7mm STW for Christmas when I was 12.

that is starting young!  my boy just shot the Roberts until he was 15.

51 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

that is starting young!  my boy just shot the Roberts until he was 15.

Yeah I don’t think if I had kids I’d get them started on such a big caliber, but I was infatuated with wildcats!!  That thing knocked the piss out of me, no muzzle breaks back in those days, atleast not mainstream!!  My first rifle was a ruger 77/22hornet, then a Remington 700 in .17 rem then a 25-06. So I worked my way up to the STW over several years.