Hoss50

Carrying Rifle w/Chambered Round?

Chambered?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Carry Your Rifle In the Field with a Chambered Round?

• Yes, Chambered and on Safe
    • No, I Load When I See an Animal
    • I only Internet Hunt
    • Bacon

I see alot of the hunting show guys chambering rounds when they see an animal. Is that normal, or do you carry your rifle chambered with the safety on? 

Is it creative editing on the shows to seem like they are being safer, or do they really carry empty chambers?

My dad always told me “If you don’t have the time to run the bolt then you don’t have the time to safely evaluate the situation and get the shot off.”   I can run my bolt action almost as fast as I can locate the safety to flit it off.  Why take the unnecessary risk to save a second.  

• Like 11

I have always carried with a round in the chamber because that is how I was taught. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but wondered what others do after seeing the "pro" hunters doing it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grey curse said:

My dad always told me “If you don’t have the time to run the bolt then you don’t have the time to safely evaluate the situation and get the shot off.”   I can run my bolt action almost as fast as I can locate the safety to flit it off.  Why take the unnecessary risk to save a second.  

I agree with this mindset, the thing I am always thinking is the sound of running the bolt, and also remembering to do it. 

• Like 1

Chambered for me.  Good topic.  There is no wrong answer.  My explanation is that I’ve done it since I was a kid and if you follow the rule that every gun is loaded, you will treat it as such and have good muzzle discipline.  I’ve had old timers tell me I’m safe to hunt next to.  It’s not hard for me to mentally stamp my brain that my weapon is hot.  

It boils down to confidence.  Where I lack confidence with chambered guns is in striker fire pistols without safety’s like Glocks.  I can’t get my brain to agree with that.  Now a double action/single action, my brain thinks that’s fine.

I chamber when I'm closing in on animal or when ready to shoot. Not during typical carry to glassing location or back to vehicle etc

• Like 5

If the hiking gets dicey then I unload the chamber, especially if the kids are hunting.

• Like 5

After watching that video posted last year of the guy telling the story of how he killed his best friend, there will never be one in the chamber until it's time.  Accidents happen, better to play it safe. 

• Like 3

Some people will say there are no accidents with guns.  If something happened, it’s because they did something they shouldn’t have, it was caused by negligence.  The same argument is there when defending guns as tools or instruments to the anti crowd that guns won’t kill people unless there is something willful or negligent.  Doesn’t minimize the incident, people are only human and make mistakes.

• Like 3