Hoss50

Carrying Rifle w/Chambered Round?

Chambered?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Carry Your Rifle In the Field with a Chambered Round?

• Yes, Chambered and on Safe
    • No, I Load When I See an Animal
    • I only Internet Hunt
    • Bacon

I've heard Randy Newberg say with a camera crew and the difficulty of filming the hunt, he has plenty of time to chamber a round. For me it depends on the situation. If I am still hunting and know things can happen quick or that I need to be quiet, I'll carry a round in the chamber. If just glassing it is always unchamberd. I still always check the chamber at the truck before loading up. 

• Like 4

I can’t even remember the last time I had an animal pop up so fast I couldn’t chamber a round. If I have time to put a rest down, turn up my scope (or even dual turrets), range find, etc how could I not have time to open and close a bolt?

Ifi was sitting down calling elk I might chamber a round, but I basically glass everything I rifle hunt.

I guess turkey hunting I would chamber one while calling.  I just don’t see a reason while walking around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Treat every gun as if it were loaded. Whoever shot his friend was being an idiot

If it’s the story I heard he slipped and fell.  Yep I feel like an idiot every time I fall.  

A guy I know was killed this year in 23 when he took his pack off and set it down and the rifle in the pack scabbard went off and struck him in the femoral artery. I beleive it was one of the old remington rifles with the old trigger.

I heard the same type of story and it involved a guy that had one stowed in a pack.  It was a 300 RUM and did all kinds of damage to him.  To me, it’s a bad idea to have one chambered in a pack or otherwise stowed.  Stowed is not the same as carrying, all kinds of mistakes or accidents could happen.

Chamber empty always.  Different types of hunting like quail you kind of have to have a round in the chamber.   But big game where you spend more time huffing and puffing up hills, slipping/ falling  than you do shooting it makes no sense to carry chambered.  If your sitting in a blind/ tree stand or sitting calling where your not moving I see no issue with chambering a round.  

I kind of trophy hunt so I’m not going to shoot anything in such a hurry where I need to be chambered.  The worse thing that can happen when your unchambered is the critter gets away.  Now what’s the worse that can happen when your chambered??  Why take the chance!!

• Like 3

I only chamber when I see an animal. Talking about the shows, as a guide,  you just met this guy that's going to be hunting with you. Do you really want him behind you with a loaded gun? I won't have anyone walking behind me with a loaded gun. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, 450Dakota said:

you just met this guy that's going to be hunting with you. Do you really want him behind you with a loaded gun? I won't have anyone walking behind me with a loaded gun. 

i dont even like hunting with people i just met with an unloaded gun behind me. people are stupid. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

i dont even like hunting with people i just met with an unloaded gun behind me. people are stupid. 

Yeah, or even friends. It can be a brand new gun still in the box and it’s still a creepy feeling to me knowing a guy with a gun is behind me. I’ll slow down so he gets side by side with me so I can watch his muzzle location.

• Like 1

Had a Mossberg 500 (not mine)go off in the back of a truck while on safety.  Blew a nice hole in the side of the truck.  I was a kid laying down in the back when I looked down and saw my hand/wrist was on the floor in front of the barrel.  Thought back to my hunter safety course and decided that wasn’t a good place for my hand.  Seconds later the gun went off!  Gives me goosebumps every time I think about it.  A safety is just a mechanical device that can fail!  Trust me I know.

• Like 1