broadhead

Anyone know a .243 Pelt Friendly Load?

the .17 rem is fur friendly. I do not have one , maybe a 204.  i have shot over 250 coyotes more than half with a .243.  I have shot one with an 80 fmj. it acted as though it was not hit even though we were only 20 yards apart. I was deer hunting, and a 95 nosler caught him on the way out. anything reliable to kill one is going to be hard on the pelts. making sewing necessary. a 70 grain of 55 ballistic tip will sometimes not exit. that is what I would use. why do need a fur friendly load? 

On 12/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, roninflag said:

why do need a fur friendly load? 

Don't need one. But if I could work up a load that will help keep them in tact rather than blasting them to pieces it's a no brainer.

Thanks to all the guys who provided some input on different calibers but as I mentioned in the OP my .243 is the rifle that I have right now and the one I'll be putting to use. And thanks for the suggestions on the loads that might work but even if not really the worst case scenario is I get to go out and have fun hunting some coyotes until I get a gun more suited for saving pelts. My .243 is my first deer rifle and has a lot of sentimental value so getting it back in action is a win in itself. 

I used a .243 for everything- coyotes(80+) , antelope(2) , deer(18), elk(1), bobcat(1), fox. for many years.   beware of the man with one gun...….. I would use a 55 ballistic tip or 70 grain ballistic tip and hope it stays in. 

No such thing as a fur- friendly 243 load.  You will lose fur more often than not. 

• Like 1