Sign in to follow this  
azelkhunter69

2020 Antler growth???

1 minute ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

The brothers already poached the big bull in there. 

i heard theres a couple more. but they may have gotten to those as well. 

I'm encouraged by the great start to the winter precipitation so far this year. The key will be what spring rains do. Last year was a good winter, excellent spring and disappointing monsoon season that resulted in less than expected horn quality IMHO (based mostly on the exceptionally good spring).

1 hour ago, Alpinebullwinkle said:

I'm encouraged by the great start to the winter precipitation so far this year. The key will be what spring rains do. Last year was a good winter, excellent spring and disappointing monsoon season that resulted in less than expected horn quality IMHO (based mostly on the exceptionally good spring).

Aren’t they basically done growing by monsoon season 

• Like 3

Monsoon season officially starts about the 4th of July which would leave at least 4-5 weeks of growth remaining before the more mature bulls start shedding.  I personally count the month of June in there as critical to horn growth, and last year was very disappointing, after a very uncharacteristically good spring precipitation thru May.

All of the best bulls are all finished by monsoon season. They do not grow much at all the last 3-4 weeks anyway. Spring moisture is what matters...Monsoons were horrible this year and it didnt matter one bit.

• Like 1

Look back at your trail cams...everything is done by July 15th at the very latest. Very few inches are grown after that..i agree with June being a critical month

1 hour ago, Alpinebullwinkle said:

Monsoon season officially starts about the 4th of July which would leave at least 4-5 weeks of growth remaining before the more mature bulls start shedding.  I personally count the month of June in there as critical to horn growth, and last year was very disappointing, after a very uncharacteristically good spring precipitation thru May.

Yes I agree considering the biggest bulls as they start shedding their horns late February and therefore start growth at least 4-6 weeks sooner than the young six pointers that sometimes do not shed their horns until the second week in April. Some spikes do not shed until May. In other words........ what we are discussing for horn growth timing is variable according to the age of the bull.