Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

MORNING BUSINESS

I was going through some folders and came across the image below. So I figured I'd give PRDATR a chance to make one of his snarky comments and for all the rest of you guys to have a hoot and holler. 

My friend of 40 years, Joe Reynolds, who lives in Ocean City, MD, was the photographer. At the time, I was a field editor for Outdoor Life and he was the northeast regional editor for Field & Stream. We were also business partners in the running of CompuServe (now owned by AOL) outdoor forums for about 15 years. 

Although Joe and I hunted doves once near Navajoa, Mex., he's more of a fisherman than a hunter, preferring to use his fly-fishing skills for about any species. Consequently, on an almost twice-a-year basis from 1980 until about 2008, he and I have fished all over the US and in a couple Canadian provinces. This was one of those trips. The set-up photo was taken on a horseback fishing trek into the Bob Marshall Wilderness sometime during the late 1980s.

tonyouthouse.thumb.jpg.b27f5c4820bf681196acc0bd82d32330.jpg

This is where we were fishing. We could view mountain goats on the slopes while catching huge cutthroats.

SUNBURST LAKE

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor, nature and water

• Like 9
  • Wow! 1

Very cool...and creative. Beautiful country for sure.

• Like 1

Gorgeous lake and hilarious picture!  What great memories!  Your post reminds me of the quote by author Madeleine L'Engle  "The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been."  Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

Tony

I think your doing it wrong!  Your shorts are still up, I think they would trap anything trying to get out! 

21 hours ago, mattys281 said:

The good ole days, ehh tony?

thanks for sharing 

Doing a mass reply here.  

The good ol' days is right on. I wish I could turn back the clock about 40 years, but even 25 would do. If someone had told me I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my body. 😉

20 hours ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

Gorgeous lake and hilarious picture!  What great memories!  Your post reminds me of the quote by author Madeleine L'Engle  "The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been."  Thanks for posting.

That's a great and very relevant quote. I should use it as a signature here.  That spot ranks right at the top of the most scenic places I've visited. The water was so crystal clear we could see the trout swimming 10-15 ft. deep. Nearby Glacier NP is also very scenic, and Lake Louise in Alberta has an incredible backdrop.

18 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

You're reading one of your own articles aren't you?

If I recall, it was an old Playboy that had had the cover ripped off. I think I was looking at the centerfold.

18 hours ago, Dave Price said:

Great TP holder!

That's grizzly country, and it's hard to run with your pants around your ankles. 

2 hours ago, trophyseeker said:

Cool photo.😄 That lake scenic is really neat. What time of year?

It was late June but still lots of snow on top on the northern facing slopes. We had just finished up with an outdoor writers conference in Kalispell.

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

Tony

I think your doing it wrong!  Your shorts are still up, I think they would trap anything trying to get out! 

Oh no, they were down quite far enough; trust me. 😉

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Interesting. I'm reading about your morning business, while doing mine.

I want to see the Bob Marshall some day.

Glad I was able to keep you entertained, Casey. BMW and Glacier are spectacular areas to visit. 

Joe and I on Mexican Hay Lake near Springerville. It was raining like he!!, but the fishing was so good, we just kept at it. These football-shaped rainbows were hitting Wooly Worms like crazy.

The images suck because they're old scans of slides done on a flatbed scanner. 

I'll add a few more photos later. 

I13839.jpg   tony3.jpg.8f6350338b088c1381287e86608cc862.jpg

• Like 1