muley224

wolves

A very concerning Stat.....

80668418_10157880052542889_4692047446400827392_n.jpg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Is this a direct result of the wolves? Seems there would have to be other factors.

What would you think the wolves feed on? 

They have had some disease in the higher states not sure if this was one. Dam wolves.

47 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

What would you think the wolves feed on? 

I figured mostly KFC.

I was asking are these numbers attributed specifically to the wolves alone.   Seems completely devastating just wondering if there were other factors.  If its solely due to wolves that's pretty scary to think of what could happen here.  

Yes wolves alone will crash a herd.  They kill the calves, the recruitment in the elk population drops below 20% the herd crashes from years Of not enough replacement to sustain.  Whether that’s the case with that herd I don’t know but I bet it is.  Just watch when the wolf numbers finally get high here, same will happen.  

The thing the wolf lovers never show is what historic wolf populations were.  The wolf populations exceed what the true carrying capacity is thus they are over harvesting their food source.  When the elk populations crash, the wolf’s don’t, they just move to the next mountain range and start hammering the elk there.  

There is a reason wolves were hated back in the day, they truly will kill for fun and wipe out their food source.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’m gonna say church’s chicken is to blame also?

Southern critters are more in to popeyes I bet.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoosCrazy said:

Yes wolves alone will crash a herd.  They kill the calves, the recruitment in the elk population drops below 20% the herd crashes from years Of not enough replacement to sustain.  Whether that’s the case with that herd I don’t know but I bet it is.  Just watch when the wolf numbers finally get high here, same will happen.  

The thing the wolf lovers never show is what historic wolf populations were.  The wolf populations exceed what the true carrying capacity is thus they are over harvesting their food source.  When the elk populations crash, the wolf’s don’t, they just move to the next mountain range and start hammering the elk there.  

There is a reason wolves were hated back in the day, they truly will kill for fun and wipe out their food source.

That makes sense. In my head I pictured full grown elk getting killed,  which I'm sure does happen but killing calves would have an exponential effect over time. That's scary.  

This was probably about my 10th consecutive late bull hunt that i had wolf problems. The last few years they have been in places where you wouldn’t expect to see them. There are SO many more than the “experts” will admit. Good thing ours are 70lb domestic dog hybrids and not 150lb canadian gray wolves. 

• Like 6