muley224

wolves

What THE fuk ARE you TALKING about? Mexican greys have lived in AZ for years. I’m not saying they should be brought back. A species died down to a respectable population. No need to reintroduce mixed breeds and call them natural, in areas they haven’t been for decades.

• Like 2

Its a shame period. In the Gila of New Mexico that was there best Elk area of the State as far as Tropy potential goes and White Mtn's of Az .as well. Makes Me sick!..............BOB!

Don't get me wrong, I have an EXTREME dislike of how they are handling the "reintroduction" of wolves in the lower states. I have seen first hand how it has decimated the elk population in Idaho and are beginning to in Oregon and I am honestly terrified at the prospect of that happening to Arizona. I am hoping that enough people become educated to the antics being used to "repopulate" that arizona doesn't become another Idaho. I completely agree with you, there is NO need for any reintroductions of ANY kind!  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

What THE fuk ARE you TALKING about? Mexican greys have lived in AZ for years. I’m not saying they should be brought back. A species died down to a respectable population. No need to reintroduce mixed breeds and call them natural, in areas they haven’t been for decades.

You got any trail cam pics or seen any of mexican grey wolves south of I-10? 

I know between the game and fish, the jaguar team, forest service, usfws and border patrol there are 1000's of trail cameras south of I-10 and to date no pics of "Real" mexican grey wolves.

Would love to see the one you saw!

• Like 4

That wolf tracking website only show wolves on the east side of az and a ways into NM. seems weird to me that they would not travel the same distance in all directions. Maybe they don't want any one to know how far they really are traveling. I believe a while back a collared wolf got hit by a car on I40 west of Flagstaff.

12 hours ago, 520HUNT said:

You got any trail cam pics or seen any of mexican grey wolves south of I-10? 

I saw a Grey in the Characowas 27yrs ago kill a calf, so he's right they have been around.

My opinion its time to get over it

There here and there staying, calling each other names won't make them go away..

44 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

I saw a Grey in the Characowas 27yrs ago kill a calf, so he's right they have been around.

My opinion its time to get over it

There here and there staying, calling each other names won't make them go away..

Who is calling names?

STC_0737.thumb.JPG.bb9312ae65362e0f01ed023a1afa6429.JPG

I am no wolf expert by any means to discern it between a dog hybrid or an actual Grey but I was surprised I caught what appeared to be a wolf south of I-8.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 2

14 hours ago, 520HUNT said:

I know between the game and fish, the jaguar team, forest service, usfws and border patrol there are 1000's of trail cameras south of I-10 and to date no pics of "Real" mexican grey wolves.

Would love to see the one you saw!

I saw one in the early 90's in 29. I was back at camp in December after slipping in the snow on my way to Pothole and the scope hit a boulder the same time a clump on snow fell from a Pinon and got into it clouding the scope.

I was eating a sandwich near a spot called Mexican Camp when I heard what sounded like a dog fight. I looked up and about 300 yards away on the opposite mountain here comes a  black wolf running out from behind a truck sized boulder. He took off and was out of site  in about 15 seconds. The year before I spoke to another hunter who also saw it.

On 12/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, muley224 said:

A very concerning Stat.....

80668418_10157880052542889_4692047446400827392_n.jpg

Page 25 of the idfg talks about the area. Apparently The winter of 96 was awful for mortality and the current population is way below expected.

Page 25 talks specifically about the Lolo Zone and wolves feature a starring role

https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.gov/WildlifeTechnicalReports/Elk Statewide FY2019.pdf

Winter 19961997 was marked by severe conditions, including extremely deep snow exceeding 200% of average snow-pack in some areas. These conditions apparently caused higher-than-normal winter mortality, leading to a dramatic decline in the GMU 10 population (-48%). In addition, a survey was conducted in GMU 12 during winter 19961997 and those results suggested a 30% decline at that time. This data, in combination with overwhelming anecdotal information, suggests that catastrophic winter losses occurred in GMUs 10 and 12.

Predation is acknowledged.. interesting read..

Management Objectives

Long-term objectives for the Lolo Zone (Figure 5) are to maintain a population of 6,1009,100 cows and 1,3001,900 bulls, including 7251,200 adult bulls. Current population levels are well below objectives with 1,137 cows, 425 bulls, and 286 adult bulls estimated in 2017.Management of the Lolo Zone elk population and setting appropriate population objectives presents a serious quandary. Existing information suggests that both predation and density dependence (habitat limitations) have been causing low calf production and recruitment.

Further down..

Research in the zone indicates that wolves have had impacts on elk demographics and wolf predation has been the leading cause of mortality of adult cows and calves ≥ 6 months during some years, particularly heavysnow years. The Department has conducted numerous annual wolf removal efforts beginning in 2010, in addition to aggressive wolf harvest seasons intended to reduce impacts of predation on this elk population. Improved survival in recent years could be due to a combination of mild snow conditions and wolf removal efforts.

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I saw one in the early 90's in 29. I was back at camp in December after slipping in the snow on my way to Pothole and the scope hit a boulder the same time a clump on snow fell from a Pinon and got into it clouding the scope.

I was eating a sandwich near a spot called Mexican Camp when I heard what sounded like a dog fight. I looked up and about 300 yards away on the opposite mountain here comes a  black wolf running out from behind a truck sized boulder. He took off and was out of site  in about 15 seconds. The year before I spoke to another hunter who also saw it.

Pics or it didnt happen

2 hours ago, Kelney said:

STC_0737.thumb.JPG.bb9312ae65362e0f01ed023a1afa6429.JPG

I am no wolf expert by any means to discern it between a dog hybrid or an actual Grey but I was surprised I caught what appeared to be a wolf south of I-8.

Coyote 

• Like 4