Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Big Herds, Small Bucks

For you coues nuts, ever scout and hunt an area for an entire year that had huge herds of deer, high buck/doe ratios, but no bucks that touch 100"? 

Throughout 10 miles of varying habitat, from January archery to late December rifle - there wasn't a day I could keep count of deer seen. I saw 50-100 coues/day and consistently saw dinky 3 points and forks pushing big doe groups. I passed on stalks and shooting opportunities every day looking for something bigger, only to shoot a great circumstance buck on December 29th, pulling a double with my brother. 

Screenshot_20191231-090237_Gallery.thumb.jpg.36deb0a6735047e58a2fd8305b0952b7.jpg

Screenshot_20191231-090100_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1f657300344fd4de22d7a8f6bb89fdce.jpg

Best passed bucks - 

• Like 4

You're the trophy hunter man, don't lie!

22 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

i dont think ive ever even seen a 100" deer anywhere 

I've seen several bucks that tower those pictured another 10 miles away from this area, but only a fraction of the number of total deer. Just thought it made some interesting discussion. 

• Like 1

Depends on the pressure the bucks get in the area that you are hunting.  In areas of low pressure I feel like about 1 in 10 bucks I see are going to be big mature deer.  In areas of high pressure like most of AZ I think it is closer to 1 in 40 bucks will have the genetics and age to be a big deer.  

They get big by being invisible.  Check out some of the creek bottom jungles.  with that many deer in the area, I’d bet there’s definitely some biggins, you’re just glassing right over the top of them.

congrats, that’s a fine buck

• Like 2

We don't have coues up here but find the same with the muledeer. Lots of deer, I don't see the bigger bucks like when in areas that have fewer deer. Of course this time of year that goes out the window as bucks will cruise alot of ground looking for hot does. 

One area last weekend I saw over 20 bucks chasing does, biggest was maybe a 80"  In another area the first buck we saw was 100+  but only a few bucks in the area. 

Great job!    The late tags are pretty special.  Lots of fun. The bigger bucks we saw were separated from the majority of does.  Even saw one group of 9 does. Not a buck in sight. 

Thanks for the nice buck comments. I honestly couldn't have been happier with my year and our bucks. I sure didn't mean to sound ungrateful. My brother was issued his tag on December 10th from someone's point guard and our families became part of the hunt. Incredible all around. I spent many great days in the field and I have the promise land it seems for my kids' youth hunts one day.

I posted this in the Coues Biology thread for the discussion and supplied the pictures and videos for reference. I do appreciate the posts so far in that regard as well. I hear the thicker stuff comments but those were covered throughout the 10 mile area too!

Its funny when you set your standards high!  Lots of guys have taken great bucks and have a goal to beat their next buck (im not knocking trophy hunting) but man these guys happen to see tons and tons of animals tons of bucks that the rest of us would love to get a crack at and they get frustrated about the that hunt.  Ha ha ha Why is it always like that?  You say Ill shot the first thing with horns, you don't even see a buck, when you are cow hunting you only see bulls.  When you are bull hunting you only see cows.  When you are looking for a 100" buck you see 50 60"-90" bucks.  When you put your gun away in the case and drive out of your unit thats when a big buck jumps in front of your truck.  Got to love hunting!!  Congrats on a fine buck.  That is some fun action to see that many animals.

• Like 2

I shot a spike in January last year after my profile buck the year before. I'm no trophy hunter, just a guy that wanted to get the full experience on his first late whitetail hunt. I cherished every day and every deer I saw. I again, sure don't mean to sound like I'm high and mighty or not thankful in any regard. I absolutely understand what you're saying though, Zeke! These were my favorite moments of the hunt, hands down..

20191231_130923.thumb.jpg.716860d31b0658e4e8c41aaa666a8e0a.jpg

20191231_130832.thumb.jpg.035ebd4c2e20d9773e8b883cb8e7f216.jpg

• Like 2