Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

A WHOLESALE SMOKE

It isn't "wild," but I'm getting ready to smoke a bunch of pork Thurs. I have two 8 lb. shoulder roasts and three racks of baby back ribs. I'll outline my normal way and see if anyone has any other suggestions.

I use a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker, and applewood chunks provide the smoke for pork. 

First the ribs:

I cover both sides with yellow mustard and then put a combination of dry rub seasonings and brown sugar on them. Then they get wrapped in Saran for an overnight stay in the fridge. For smoking, I use a 3-2-1 method at a temp of 225, and water in the pan. I put them on the racks bare for the first 3 hrs., then take them out and spray them with apple juice before tightly wrapping in foil. After 2 hrs., I pull them, unwrap, put on a light layer of BBQ sauce and put them back in bare for 1 more hr. When done, I cut into meal-size slabs (usually 2 hunks per slab), vacuum seal and freeze. BBQ sauce is added when eating.

The roasts for pulled pork:

The first steps before putting them in the fridge are the same except I do inject apple juice throughout the roast. For cooking, I use temperature rather than time and do them at the same time as the ribs. They go in unwrapped and stay in until they get to about 170 deg. as per the digital thermometer built into the smoker. Once they reach that, I take them out, inject more juice, wrap in foil and put them back in the smoker until they get to 200 deg. When done, I pull the meat using two forks, wrap in meal and sandwich size amounts in Saran, insert into a 1 gal. zipper bag and freeze. BBQ sauce is added when eating.

Now I'm hungry...….😎

• Like 1