Mathews

Rope recovery on an ibex

Got to do something yesterday I never thought I’d be doing. We shot this big billy in what we thought was a spot I could get to, turns out i was wrong and we had to call in an expert. He needed a second guy and rather than wait for him to find someone I volunteered. I’ve never had an issue with heights but this was completely different. 150’ climb up the backside and a 400’ rappel off the front side with the goat attached. 

61D86911-6A3F-49DA-AB2A-EE62A0BE18B5.jpeg

267F87D0-0FAD-4E3A-80C0-075CF8176E70.jpeg

48FA8437-A243-4F47-BC72-8193143BCA03.jpeg

0A12F84E-7418-46F1-A70D-9BB7FD0CD820.jpeg

842527E3-EA90-4954-A791-C2EB75263AC1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 4

I’ve been a tower rescue and rappelling instructor for years and that made me pucker up a LOT! Glad you got him down. That looked hairy

40 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I’ve been a tower rescue and rappelling instructor for years and that made me pucker up a LOT! Glad you got him down. That looked hairy

Stupid thing got hung up so easily, after the first two times all my attention went to preventing that lol

Ive got like 30 minutes of video of us coming down

53 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I’m curious to know why it looked hairy? I’ve never done it before obviously so I have nothing to compare it to and I asked the guy afterwards if it was that bad and he seemed to think it wasn’t a big deal.. 

1 hour ago, Mathews said:

I’m curious to know why it looked hairy? I’ve never done it before obviously so I have nothing to compare it to and I asked the guy afterwards if it was that bad and he seemed to think it wasn’t a big deal.. 

Unreal! Great video

• Like 1

Great Billy! Recovery really adds to the story!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mathews said:

Was the billy on it’s own rope or hanging off of you? Just the way the rope was rubbing against the rock in all those different spots and how your descender was hanging up and knocking you around.  You’ve got some balls man! I bet you took a deep breath when you hit the ground. Crazy recovery and huge congrats on that amazing animal

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Awesome!!  That rock is a different world isn’t it!?!

It’s something you have to set foot on to fully understand 

4 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Was the billy on it’s own rope or hanging off of you? Just the way the rope was rubbing against the rock in all those different spots and how your descender was hanging up and knocking you around.  You’ve got some balls man! I bet you took a deep breath when you hit the ground. Crazy recovery and huge congrats on that amazing animal

He was hanging off of me

like I said I don’t know anything about that stuff and the guy felt confident so I trusted him, that video is a short clip of the last descent. It was definitely a relief to get to somewhere I could stand again lol