Sign in to follow this  
jknister

WTB Coyote Rifle - 22Mag, .17, .223, etc.

Im looking for a good quiet (ish) rifle to use to shoot coyotes.  Im currently using a .22 but they keep running off after being shot.  I want to stay smaller and quieter so something like a 22Mag, .17, AR15 would be ideal.  Dont want something super fancy and/or expensive as its just going to get knocked around.  Longest shot will probably be 150 yards.  What do you have?

• Like 1

I bought a savage 17 with the heavy barrel from Cabelas for like $350. The thing is super accurate and I e killed coyotes at the house up to 100 yards. Kinda light but will work. 

• Like 1

if you want to keep it quiet, stay away from an AR-15. They are LOUD. Plenty of cheap bolt action 22mag and 17's being made anymore. Look at Marlin or savage. I have one of the first Marlin 17 hmr's ever made. probably got it around 2003? Shoots amazingly well and i've killed several coyotes with it out to about 200 yards. 

• Like 4

If you're thinking 223 isn't too loud, you might check out this Tikka T3 in 223 I have listed.  It's relatively light (shy of 7 lbs), good scope for what you want, plenty of knock-down for a coyote at your ranges.  Having shot both this and an AR, I can attest that the blast is noticeably less from the 22" barrel vs. the 16" AR.  But it's still a centerfire rifle cartridge, so it's certainly not quiet.

17 hornet would be my pick! Not much louder than a 22 mag but hits alot harder! I've had several coyotes get back up and running off after being hit well with a 22 mag.

I have a Savage B-Mag in the 17 WSM cartridge.  It's like the 17 HMR, but much faster. Probably the hardest hitting rimfire out there.  If that's something you want to consider, send me a PM and I will pull it out and try to answer any questions you have.  Haven't shot it in several years, so I would need to refresh my memory.

• Like 1