Sign in to follow this  
jknister

WTB Coyote Rifle - 22Mag, .17, .223, etc.

They are tac drivers. I keep it in my pickup always on the farm. That thing has been thousands and thousands of miles on bad roads thumped all around and still shoots quarters at 100 yards. 

• Like 1

.223 minimum. Do some research. 17 HMR and 22 mag are lethal but too light on heavy fur. Even coyotes deserve a quick dispatch!

• Like 3

You will find the 17 hmr isnt any better than the 22 mag. the only rimfire that has enough is the the 17wsm. The 22 hornet or much better K hornet is an awesome fur gun as is the 17 hornet (my 1st/2nd choice) the 221 fireball, 17 remington or fireball, 222 remington or a 223. The 223 is very versatile if you are a hand loader.  

• Like 1

17hmr isn’t enough at 100 plus yards. Neither is a 22 mag for reliable kills. You’re still going to have runners. There are several good suggestions here already of which the 223 in a bolt gun would be a good choice. Cheap ammo, plenty of range, good knockdown power. 
savage Axis or Ruger American are good choices. 

Why not just use a 223? Billions of different rifles to choose from, and just as many different ammo offerings. Dirt cheap ammo, too.

• Like 3

22mag has better energy than a 17hmr and as mentioned is borderline. We have had 100% success with coyote and a res javi with the 17wsm.  

54 minutes ago, jdown said:

22mag has better energy than a 17hmr and as mentioned is borderline. We have had 100% success with coyote and a res javi with the 17wsm.  

Does res stand for reservation?