Sign in to follow this  
BruinPoint

Too late for the muley rut?

Well I wasn't sure it was going to happen, but I finally got everything in place to let me come down for archery deer from Jan 10-19 and I'm probably headed to somewhere in 31/32/33/37's.  .  Based on what I see on CWT and Instagram, it seems like the rut started early this year.  Am I going to miss it? 

I personally feel like in the units I hunt, the rut started early this year.  Having said that, I killed a buck on New years Eve that was fending off 2 smaller bucks from his hot doe.  The rut is going strong still and I anticipate it continuing thru the middle of january.

Rut started when it always does around my place in Cochise county. Bucks were breeding does around Christmas into the last few days of the year. It has dramatically tapered off and many bucks are not with does anymore but still searching a bit.  My brother said he saw multiple big bucks today hanging out with another buck and no does. Should be some you young does coming into cycle around the time you'll be down. 28 days after most of the does came Into cycle some of them will come into cycle again so at any point in January you could get into some rutting action. 

• Like 1

I saw a 160ish buck in 24a mount four different does on Wednesday. I think the week of the 18th is best from my experience

I’ve seen some cruising but nothing heavy yet.  Bucks are definitely becoming more visible in the heavy timber where I’m hunting 

3rd week of January is always when it’s best in my area. It’s that way year after year. I’m sure some are already rutting and some might be done, but it always seems the majority of them get after it towards the end of January. They will rut clear into February in my area. 

• Like 2

Walking into my stand tonight I ran into a decent (for the area) little buck out cruising at 2:15pm.  

• Like 1

They are rutting in 33. Though it isn't super crazy, or else the buck density is extremely low in this area. But I have seen a few bucks digging does and oblivious to everything else. 

• Like 1

Not south, but in more central AZ, I got real close to this one on Saturday. Swirl of wind got me busted. Saw 8 bucks total (6 muleys & 2 WT). Rut in full swing for both.

5x4 muley, 1.4.20.jpg

• Like 4