Sign in to follow this  
BruinPoint

Too late for the muley rut?

On 1/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, RNGRDOG said:

Not south, but in more central AZ, I got real close to this one on Saturday. Swirl of wind got me busted. Saw 8 bucks total (6 muleys & 2 WT). Rut in full swing for both.

5x4 muley, 1.4.20.jpg

Nice buck 

Here’s a little one I missed the other day.  Not sure how that happened, shot right over him.  Guess I still get too dang excited...

2AF1DD36-86FC-40BD-B43D-120FAAA66F99.thumb.jpeg.11fb4688752803dbdb3399734a66f9e8.jpeg

heres one I had at about 45 yards a few days before that.  He busted me trying to range him and then he turned around instead of stepping out.  Another real amateur maneuver on my part....

AE954B7B-95C0-477B-AD0C-DFAC57A09A99.thumb.jpeg.fc192695170973ab7ed674d34d3f5cb5.jpeg

anyhow, been seeing a lot more movement in person and on trail cam this week.  Seems like it’s heating up to me.  You should have a good hunt

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattys281 said:

Here’s a little one I missed the other day.  Not sure how that happened, shot right over him.  Guess I still get too dang excited...

2AF1DD36-86FC-40BD-B43D-120FAAA66F99.thumb.jpeg.11fb4688752803dbdb3399734a66f9e8.jpeg

heres one I had at about 45 yards a few days before that.  He busted me trying to range him and then he turned around instead of stepping out.  Another real amateur maneuver on my part....

AE954B7B-95C0-477B-AD0C-DFAC57A09A99.thumb.jpeg.fc192695170973ab7ed674d34d3f5cb5.jpeg

anyhow, been seeing a lot more movement in person and on trail cam this week.  Seems like it’s heating up to me.  You should have a good hunt

I missed a nice big one the other day, I was shaking so bad I didn’t have a prayer to hit him 

• Like 2

Haha I know the feeling.  I’ve killed three deer in the last six months and still get so dang excited when it’s time to shoot....

i guess if I’m ever not excited, it’s probably time to find a new hobby

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mattys281 said:

Haha I know the feeling.  I’ve killed three deer in the last six months and still get so dang excited when it’s time to shoot....

i guess if I’m ever not excited, it’s probably time to find a new hobby

What state were you in?

1 minute ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

What state were you in?

Killed a small spike buck in Az in August then I hunted a week in Ok and got my butt kicked on public land.  After that I went up to Nebraska for a few days and had some better luck on private ground.

On 1/3/2020 at 4:01 PM, creed_az_88 said:

Rut started when it always does around my place in Cochise county. Bucks were breeding does around Christmas into the last few days of the year. It has dramatically tapered off and many bucks are not with does anymore but still searching a bit.  My brother said he saw multiple big bucks today hanging out with another buck and no does. Should be some you young does coming into cycle around the time you'll be down. 28 days after most of the does came Into cycle some of them will come into cycle again so at any point in January you could get into some rutting action. 

Some good info right there 

Well I came, I saw, and I did not conquer 🤣  Had a really good time, saw some nice bucks, only went after a couple, and it just didn't come together. 

Saw a little bit of everything rut wise. Saw does without bucks, does with little bucks that weren't even sniffing around, mixed groups of does and multiple bucks of different ages, big bucks locked down on a single doe, mature bucks cruising, and mature bucks alone just being deer. I think I'd have preferred to be a little earlier but I'm not disappointed by any means.  Gonna have to try getting back down in December 

I really appreciate all the feedback and I'm grateful to get to come spend time in your beautiful state. 

• Like 4

On 1/19/2020 at 8:39 PM, BruinPoint said:

Well I came, I saw, and I did not conquer 🤣  Had a really good time, saw some nice bucks, only went after a couple, and it just didn't come together. 

Saw a little bit of everything rut wise. Saw does without bucks, does with little bucks that weren't even sniffing around, mixed groups of does and multiple bucks of different ages, big bucks locked down on a single doe, mature bucks cruising, and mature bucks alone just being deer. I think I'd have preferred to be a little earlier but I'm not disappointed by any means.  Gonna have to try getting back down in December 

I really appreciate all the feedback and I'm grateful to get to come spend time in your beautiful state. 

You can always come in August also the weather is great .glad you had fun and got to see some deer 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, trphyhntr said:

are we living in the same state? 

9 hours ago, Jacob...soaz said:

It was a joke weather sucks. 

You fellas are hunting the wrong units.  I never even break a sweat during the August hunt, although I do get rained on quite often. ;)

• Like 1