I grew up hunting the border units and some of the units further north. If I was going out on a solo backpack hunt for coues, I wouldn't hunt the border units. For me it's just a peace of mind thing especially if I was by myself. One of the areas we hunted regularly is now getting hammered by drug traffic. You would probably see some of this:

IMG_2913.thumb.JPG.c706b8dcf3d7f6f0d81b6ec69720f127.JPGIMG_2916.thumb.JPG.960bbdd4cfb28955fcdd7d83ddbb9825.JPGIMG_3004.thumb.JPG.0b032a8f6523e671cc6e969ab1c95e84.JPGIMG_2919.thumb.JPG.0dca669060fd43d40919abeee4e75fd3.JPGIMG_3002.thumb.JPG.3770cedf0b3c0eecdc95e289e6174093.JPGIMG_3003.thumb.JPG.46fcdd3ce4cfffd9bf2abb039a123768.JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

What rifle do you shoot and at what ranges?  That is one thing that you may want to think about also.  300 yard shots are pretty average.  And some guys and kids are shooting way past that.  Sometimes the canyons don't let you get closer.  That said I have shot coues deer at 25 and 85 yards here so it can be done.

Unless you are wanting to hunt alone there are good chances you could team up with someone on here also. Makes for a little safer hunt and not quite as lonely.  The guys on here tend to be a little more hard core than the average weekend warrior that draws a tag and hunts a couple days without ever stepping foot in the unit before the hunt and not seeing a deer during the hunt.  Good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Down East said:

Thanks Kaffer62. Everybody seems to say 33 is a favorable unit across the board. 
If I were to travel 2300 miles and have the kind of things happen that Jnj13 describes I would definitely be somewhat disappointed. What he describes is definitely what I am trying to avoid. 
I realize most hunters have favorable experiences in the border units but I’m not sure I’m willing to take that chance. Especially on my first Couse hunt ever when I already am so far behind the learning curve on so many other facets of hunting these deer. The challenge for me in even going on this hunt is to see for myself if I can apply my 35 years of general hunting knowledge to successfully kill a whitetail in the desert environment. 
Thanks again man!!!

Still gotta draw the tag first 😂

Yeah those pictures say a million words none of which I want anything to do with. Very enlightening and thank you for that. I can’t imagine the U.S. resources it takes to combat that cartel/immigrant activity and frankly it makes my blood boil seeing those pictures. Maybe living in that area some of you guys are more numb to it than I am, but I love my country and that is a slap in the face! Sorry don’t mean to go on a tangent about it. 

I shoot a 300 Win Mag. I’m very comfortable up to 5-600 (wind depending) yards with my set up. I reload my own rounds and have intimate knowledge of my setup in various conditions. 
I think I want to do this hunt by myself at least the first time. I would hate to hinder another hunter with my lack of knowledge or inexperience. I feel as though I hunt better alone in many situations as well. I’m sure most of you guys could severely shorten my learning curve and I appreciate the help for sure but this hunt is kind of a personal challenge for me if that makes sense. 
That being said I greatly appreciate all the bones you guys are throwing at me. I will continue to chew on them and come up with a game plan right or wrong! 
Thanks!!!

• Like 1

Flatlander provides sound advice.

To dovetail him pick a unit dial in an area pick it apart.  You will see areas where muleys and coues bucks overlap. Don’t get discouraged. if you find and area that looks couesy and you are turning up muley. Stay with it. Coues bucks are much more elusive. I would recommend doing the early bear hunt and you will find what you are looking for. No doubt

If you do archery you can get an otc tag and scout it for rifle while you build points.  I'd be happy to show you some areas in 35a or 30b. Lots of southern units have a north end with way less traffic. 

What’s yaulls advice on Binos. I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 but would consider getting some 15’s if you all think it would be worth the investment. I can imagine a higher power bino would be beneficial for longer distances or detail magnification but a good pair of 15’s is going to be a little chunk of money. 
Thanks. 

7 hours ago, Down East said:

What’s yaulls advice on Binos. I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 but would consider getting some 15’s if you all think it would be worth the investment. I can imagine a higher power bino would be beneficial for longer distances or detail magnification but a good pair of 15’s is going to be a little chunk of money. 
Thanks. 

Personally, I would want my 15's. These deer are small and hard to find. They don't call them the grey ghost for nothing. 

7 hours ago, Down East said:

Thanks. 

I would go quality over power.  You could rent some 15x's or a spotter from Ross Outdoor or Optics 4 Rent.  I would rent Swaro SLC or EL's or before I would buy Vortex Kaibabs.  I know that wont be popular with some, but if you dont do this type of hunting much I wouldn't waste my money on a lower end optic that you wont be able to use later.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.
Flatlander I agree With you 100%. A 10x Swaro is way better than a 15x middle of the road bino in my opinion too. I’ll looked at the Optics 4 Rent and that’s a very appealing option to me. Thanks Man!!!

• Like 1